Check Engine Light

Musicmaniac
10

Asked by Musicmaniac Aug 12, 2013 at 04:01 PM about the 1985 Toyota MR2

I have a 1985 MR2 MK1.  For the entire time I have owned the car (more than 30 years), the check engine light will come on occasionally and unpredictably.  Sometimes after I have driven the car for a while, other times it goes off (or on) when I hit a bump.  The car runs with no problems, and always starts right away.

141,935

So you never scanned the car in 30 years? You got a good run. Time to do so if your concerned, or just drive it till you have driveabilty problems.

Musicmaniac
10

I have had dealers scan it. When I first bought it (used) the dealer I bought it from said it was the O2 sensor (which he said he replaced). I recently took it to my local Toyota dealer, he said it was the distributor (which he wanted to replace for $600+). The question I had was more related to the fact that it doesn't come on and stay on. What could cause that. The car runs great.