4+3 transimission

im2koul4u
0

Asked by im2koul4u Jan 05, 2007 at 01:00 AM about the 1985 Chevrolet Corvette

how do you check the trans fluid in the doug nash 4+3 transmission of an 85 corvette. don't mean to sound stupid but this is my first corvette. thanks, amanda

bovan
9,570

Hello Amanda- Don't waste your time looking further. Cars with an automatic transmission have an obvious dipstick. Most manual transmission, like the Doug Nash 4+3 on your Corvette, don't have a dipstick. Best bet is to have your mechanic check the fluid level next time it is up on a lift for an oil change. Good luck from Bovan.

Anonymous
0

Hi Amanda, although I have never seen it because I have my mechanic change the fluid and the filter, there is supposed to be a window on the trans through which you can see the level. However, you still have to fill it from beneath the car. Also you should have both the fluid and the filter changed every 15,000 miles probably because the car was designed to have the automatic transmission version with the pan forward of where the exhaust joins to a single pipe just ahead of the catalytic converter. The overdrive pan is right where the exhausts meet and this probably heats the fluid in the unit beyond its limits causing this transmission to break down. I installed an exaust wrap on mine and secured it with hose clamps. I will also have the fluid "Dextron 2" and the filter changed at the required interval. Take care and good luck.