why is my 84 four runner running great and just randomly die? (help)

ohioguy
0

Asked by ohioguy Feb 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM about the 1984 Toyota 4Runner

my truck runs fine the motor is great everything but it randomly dies while being
driven. i can start it up right after it does this and it seems to do great but it always
does it again. It seems to be doing it more and more as time goes by.

Street_race_dreamer
145

It sounds to me like you're having an electrical short somewhere. Have an electrical diagnostic run and have your alternator checked as well, but since its a pre-90's Japenese car, its probably the wiring. If you're a do-it-yourself guy like me, go to your local used parts place (junk yard) and look for a wiring harness, and since toyota didnt change the 4runner for about 15 years, any model should be good up to '95.

ohioguy
0

thanks for the advice, it has been doing this for about 6 month. wouldn't a short have progressed a little faster though?

Street_race_dreamer
145

well, it all depends on what it is. a loose wire or connection could take a while, or could be the alternator

Street_race_dreamer
145

Sorry if my last response was weak. A loose or bad connection can get worse over time, but depending on how long it took to progress and get worse, i would have you check the harness and the alternator. the problem is a sudden loss in electrical flow, which could be the wiring or alternator. have both checked, and if it is the harness, get a used one for like 30 bucks from a used auto parts place, but get an alternator new. I'd do it myself, but thats your choice. have fun with it :)