Need help with 1990 Toyota Camy (won't start)

ejmaue
0

Asked by ejmaue Jan 14, 2010 at 10:29 PM about the 1990 Toyota Camry

I was driving home and all of a sudden my car got really weak and started running very rough. By the time I pulled over it died and would never really start again. The timing belt is new and timing is good. The fuel pump is working, fuel filter is okay. The plugs are sparking blue. I bypassed the air intake and that didn't help so the problem doesn't seem to be there. I tried spraying ether into the fuel injector but it didn't make a difference. When I turn the ignition the car turns over and sounds perfectly normal. After a couple cranks it attemps to start but only manages to shudder and then quit. After turning over and trying to start for a bit it seems to backfire back into the injector and out the air intake and then the cycle starts over again. To me the problem seems to be in the fuel injector somewhere. The fuel is making it that far but must not be getting through because there is a good spark waiting for it. I don't know where to go from here though.

Richard Kuehner
135

I had a similar problem with a 88 Corolla - good spark ,in time,and getting fuel - it couldn't get rid of the exhaust due to a clogged catalytic convertor

David Massman
80

i have a 1990 toyota camry v6 i changed the fuel filterand the fuel pump sparks are all good oil is all good.but it still will not start it will start for a second then die right down.yesterday my girlfriend was driving to work and it died she started it back up and went about 4 blocks then it died again and this is after i changed the fuel pump and fuel filter.im getting sick of waiting money on parts that are not fixing the problem.can someone help me out?i hear the one click then it will start and turn right off can somone please help?