car vibrates when idling

babydoll26
45

Asked by babydoll26 Aug 05, 2010 at 08:10 PM about the 1994 Toyota Tercel

Michael Stewart
335

Could be lots of things and there isn't much information to diagnose. I would check the hose on the idel air control. It is usually near the throttle body.

papa

bad IAC,broken moter mount,vacume leak,best thing to do is take it to your mechanic and let him scan the computer for any codes,you dont want to go buying expensive parts when you dont need to,IAC-Idle Air Control for this car is over $100.00.

Michael Stewart
335

I'm not suggesting to replace the idle air control. It's function can be verified easily. If the problem is only ideling then the hose connecting the idle air control to the throttle body is an easy check. I doubt it is a vacuum leak but it is possible. Ussually if there is a vacuum leak then the engine will run rough all the way up to speed as intake vacuum is higher during idle and acceleration. If the roughness goes away or is less while coasting then it could be a vacumm leak. Take the car to Autozone or Advance Auto. They can check the codes for free. Write back with more information or codes.

tercel97
5

My mechanic said one of motor mounts shows some wear but says to wait to replace it. This car has only 56k on it. Should I replace them both when it's done?