Head Lamps connectors voltage is inverted

redcentinela
0

Asked by redcentinela Jan 18, 2010 at 06:51 PM about the 1994 Toyota Tercel

Hi, everyone. I have a 1994 Tercel, 3EE engine. About 8 months ago I installed a HID kit.( the real ones that uses a ballast) Hi Beam is halogen and low beam is the HID. It worked fine. I had to stop this Tercel in July since cylinder # 1 lost compression. Since I have a 1989 Trooper using the same type of bulbs, I removed the HID from the Tercel and installed them in the Trooper. I installed the Tercel's engine a week ago and installed the HID back in the Tercel but didn't turn on. I took the headlamp connector and verified the voltages. When you look at the connector as you see the pins when you take it off from the head lamp, pin # is the left pin, pin # 2 is the center pin and pin # 3 is the right pin here are the voltages. Negative test probe in negative battery terminal:

Low Beam
Pin # 1 = 12 V
Pin # 2 = 0 V
Pin # 3 = 12 V

* In low beam I have two 12 voltages instead of one.

High Beam
Pin # 1 = 0 V
Pin # 2 = 0 V
Pin # 3 = 12 V

I checked the voltages in my 1989 Tropper that uses the same 9004 lamps and here are the voltages:

Low Beam
Pin # 1 = 0 V
Pin # 2 = 12V
Pin # 3 = 0 V

High Beam
Pin # 1 = 12 V
Pin # 2 = 0 V
Pin # 3 = 0 V

Both vehicules with the battery negative terminal disconnected or light switch in OFF position, all pins are grounded.

I tested the HID lamps directly jumped to the battery and work fine.

It is like pin # 2 is the ground now in my Toyota Tercel according with the voltages readings.

Is it possible that the voltages or ground where inverted for some reason??? Pin # 3 should be the ground in HID lamps now is # 2, so they won't work.

With regular 9004 halogen lamps works fine. Apparently these regular halogen lamps don't discriminate which pin is negative or positive, they work fine. The blue indicator for High Beam works fine on regular 9004. With HID assy blue indicator don't work.

Thanks for any advise you may bring to me!

redcentinela
0

I inverted the ballast connector position and they worked.