How many 1964 1/2 Mustangs were made?

Christopher Metz
115

Asked by Christopher May 11, 2010 at 11:17 PM about the 1964 Ford Mustang

I would like to know how many 1964 1/2 Mustangs were made and how many of them were convertibles.

papa

the1/2 is the answer,they were made in the middle of the year,but is the most sought after stane of the car.

Christopher Metz
115

I realize that it was made in the middle of the year, but the Shelby is the most sought after. The 1964 1/2 is the rarest. But I would like to know how many were made and how many of them were convertibles.

Rifleman
160

1964 1/2 mustangs produced standard coupes 92,705 standard convertibles 28,883 total 121,538

doenie
160

You seem to know what you'retalking about. I have a 64 1/2 mustang with a vinyl top. It has a 3 speed on the floor and a 260 v 8 engine. It was purchased new by my father-in -law and sold to me. It is burgandy color and I have been to Hot August Nights for 10 years and not seen this car. Is this as rare as it seems.

Alex Ascencio
145

There is actually no documentation for 64.5-66 Mustangs, Ford destroyed the information you are currently looking for, no one really knows how many are out there. So giving a number for it is actually completely inaccurate, when no valid source for that information can be found. So, the answer to your question can not be given due to the lack of proper documentation.

63sprintowner
465

Rifleman"s numbers were spot-on..Alex-youre kidding,right??I have documentation,including paint-codes,and options,for EVERY YEAR mustang,produced,from 1964(including feb.64,pre-production figures)..It"s available at any ford obsolete store!!!

63sprintowner
465

Pre-production( mustangs built from dec. 18,1963-april 16th,1964)--101 coupes,,and 49 convertibles...

Alex Ascencio
145

Ford destroyed the documents, and their is significant proof of that, if anyone gives you a number for those model years, it won't be accurate or precise.

Alex Ascencio
145

In fact, if you were to try and get the marty report on any pre-1967 model mustang, you could not get any reliable production numbers of the car due to the fact that ford destroyed those numbers.

doenie
160

Thanks for the different responses to my question of how rare my Mustang is. As i said I have gone to Hot August Nights for 10 years and have never seen this particular car. We know it was manufactured before May 1964 cause we bought it on May14 1964. Soooooo if it is one of the 101 cars made pre May 1964 1/2 whats it worth as I am ready to sell it. Not versed in this so any advice will be much appreciated.

Anthony Spencer
55

That is a very tough question to find a good answer to. All 64.5s carry a 1965 vin. I have a 64.5 A code 4 speed convertible waiting its turn to be restored. There is not really any documentation detailing trim and roofs still in existence for 64-66. You would need to have the sheets from all 101918 convertibles 65s built. Then separate the ones that were produced between 3/9/64 and 8/17/64. Whats makes this even harder is Ford says that the last 64.5 was built 7/31/64 and the 65s started the next day. However research has turned up 64.5s as late as 8/17. I think at the end of the day no one will ever know the true numbers for the 64.5-66 Mustangs.

MapleSugarr
0

How many did Ford make: Want to purchase: 1965 Ford Mustang K Code 289 HiPo Vin Number 5F09K61 Ivy Green 2 dr 4 spd. Mileage 66, 792 Black Interior. Recently had 5 owners: Comes with the 5 previous titles. Home state for the Mustang was Texas. This Mustang 2 + 2 Fast Back equipped K-Code 289 Hi Po option, delivering 271 hp Front disc brakes, 4 spd, close ratio loader trans, Rally Pac Instruments, remote drivers side view mirror and am radio. Mustang custom tailored look to leather soft vinyl seat trim Pony interior. Fresh air flow vents, and functional rear side louver vents as well. Factory black steering wheel, sporty perforated metal spokes. Flip folding rear seat option, holding cargo or 2 more passenger seating. This rare limited production car is all original. 271 Hi Po engine untouched original deluxe black Pony interior. Original sales brochure owners manual complete history. 5 owners and Title history documentation. Considering this as investment.

Howe_pete
30

What is your VIN number ... starting with a 5 indicates production year 64 + 65. Last numbers are actual car number. I have 5F08F100909, produced on 12.03 (third ever day of production). The 909 = 909th car produced!

Howe_pete
30

to clarify ... 12 March.

snoopy55
20

Pete: If your car is the 909th car produced wouldn't the vin number be 000909? I was informed the last six numbers should be the consecutive build number. If I am mis-informed what build would the number 5F07C325011 be?

Michael Underwood
10

Pete, i have 5F08F101908. Date on door is 18C (Mar 18, 64). Someone in this post said 49 verts were built before April 16. Like yours that would make mine pretty rare but not sure where those numbers came from. Have you been able to find any source to validate early vert numbers? Thx, Mike

Howe_pete
30

Snoopy: i understand your logic, but can't give an answer other than that's just the way it is. I haven't yet found an answer for what the 1 is. As Mike says, if you check your door date it will confirm your production. If you Google search the vin codes there is heaps of information in the www. Where are you Mike? I'm in Germany, there is a guy here who has something like car no. 124, first day of production. That would be a nice one to have in the garage!

Michael Underwood
10

Would be finer than frog hair Pete. I'm in New Mexico.

Kinneyhome
40

Just this thread, I was looking for information on my early Mustang before i put it up for sale. What i have found over 30 years of research, a rough idea of numbers exist, no actuals. the unit # started with 100000. I actually have a coupe march 10, 1964 build date all original VIN 100597. I was told by someone who worked the line that the lines had multiple models coming down and jsut because my VIN is 597 does not mean it's the 597 Mustang, it in fact means it's the 597th car built including all the other models. I have never validated that. Anniversary of the Mustang so I'm thinking it would be a good time to move my very early all original car.

jsonger7777
0

I have a Question I have 1 numbers are 65 A Y 22 12S 45 5F07T721367 What would that make my date I'm really new to all this?

Anthony Huling
0

Right now, i believe there are 5 in existence. Numbers 3, 6, 11, 12, 15,

rst429
675

This is Bob Taylor. I just bought a 64 1/2 mustang with 57000 > miles on it, nice clean car. My son and I are going to restore this fall. > 260 , C4, Wimbledon white, blue interior. Most people say that there were only 92,705 coupes made. but mine is a original, and the vin# clearly states 204,000 But the Vin# has me > confused. It has two assembly plant codes on it, can you shed some light on > this for us? # 5TF07F204000. I know that the [F] is for Dearborn Mi. and > the [T] is for Metuchen, New Jersey, but have you ever seen a car with > both? Any info would be very appreciated. Thanks from the both of us.

rst429
675

jsonger7777, ready 5F07T721367 5-65,F-DEARBORN,07-COUPE,T-INLINE 6 200 CID, 721367 PRODUCTION RUN...65A-HARDTOP, Y-SKYLIGHT BLUE, 22-BLUE VINYL/BLUE TRIM, 12S- 12th MAY, 45-DSO BUFFALO

rst429
675

Hi guy's here's a picture of the vin# Thanks again

Camaro_red
20

I just purchased whatI believe to be a 64 1/2 289 A code 4 speed convertible...It was built the 4th day of August, has the 641/2 hood and beveled bezels, correct spare tire mount, Eaton p/s pump and many other 641/2 items ....yet has an alternator rather than the generator ?...some stats say 64/12 were produced as late as the 17th of August..I bought this car of the fellow that owned since 1974 ...original as ever everywhere

rst429
675

Camaro_red, I believe it is a 64.5 with out a dought. Being push to fill the high demand of orders, Formans on the line did whatever it took, to get them out, and putting a alt. is no big suprize to me! What do you think of my two plant build codes in my vin#?? My build date was July 28, 1964 and my unit # is 204000.Another odd thing about the 64 1/2s. Beautiful car you have there.

wmayfield707
10

I have a 65 mustang, vin # 5F07F119842. It has a 260 and 3 speed manual transmission. I read it as a 64, correct? When was it made and how many with 260 engines in this coupe?

Camaro_red
20

Why any car would have a tag showing both assembly plants would baffle most purists... I purchased my car from the man who owned it for 40 years.... Original interior is in incredible shape without a tear in any of the seats

rst429
675

Camaro-red vintage-mustang.com/topics/decode/decode.html is the site i go to alot ,and can help you with just about ant question

rst429
675

http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topics/decode/decode.html it's one of the best i've found over the years, hope this helps, iif you have any other questions e-mail me @ rgump4290@aol.com

rst429
675

and go to my page where it shows pic's of my jeep liberty 2010, theres some very interesting pic's, and notice the build date and year......BOB T

Camaro_red
20

My car has the 641/2 hood and headlight bezels, spare tire hold down is the slot not a J hook, seat belt holes for the front seats are staggered, has one 64 style pig tail on the rear tail lights and one short sealed unit..has the Eaton PS pump...even the seat belts are marked 64...built August 7 of 64

rst429
675

wmayfield707 To my knowledge there where no 65's that came from the factory with a 260 v8 it was discontinued, for the 65 model year, you could have a original 64 1/2!!!!!!!! NICE FINED. Go to this site http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/students/Blommel/65.htm

LarryM42
10

I have a 64.5 "D-code" Convertible with 289 4-speed with a April 13, 1964 build date in Dearborn. Vin is 112830 which should relate to the 12,830 car built. From the above information this would appear to be one of the very first D code convertibles built, but no way to find out any more infor on it, Right????

rst429
675

LarryM42 Yes there is look on the drivers door plate, there should be codes for body style, interior ,and exterior color date built, DSO, axel, and trans, on that one plate. Post them and I will gladly look them up for you, no problem. BOB T

tony_lee
30

Here is mine. 641/2 289 high comp. 3 speed manual. all original and complete. FOR SALE! what should it be worth? 5 is the first number in the vin code. last 3 numbers are 755. in barn find condition. ran when parked in 1989.

rst429
675

tony_lee give me the vin# and the code on the drivers door plate, there should be codes for body style, interior ,and exterior color date built, DSO, axel, and trans, on that one plate. Post them and I will gladly look them up for you, no problem. BOB T

Ed Cain
0

260 was also first V8 for the Falcons ,Might be Rarer than the Mustangs with the 260.The 64.5 Falcon Sprint is Still Highly Collectible,Espe.the ones with 4 Spds.One of My Buddy's in High School Traded His 55 Metallic Blue Chevy,with Roll& Pleated Interior & 327 He Installed Himself for One ,Tried to Talk Him Out of the Transaction.The 55 ,if Still exists ,is Prob.Still worth More.

OCTANEROMANCER
0

hey world this is the octane romancer I'm in possession of 11960 four and a half two plus two fastback Mustang it was produced at Ford Rouge on October 12th 1964 on October 14th 1964 it was shipped to Flushing Meadows Queens with the Worlds Fair was at Park in New York it is not a city or state on the 17th of October it was shipped back to Detroit where was purchased by my mother's friend for her daughter for a graduation present in 65 now this guy has been sitting in the garage since 1973 so it is 33 years above the rest of game and just driving and tearing it up its been sitting in the garage I am in possession of it now and it's here with me in New York I would like to get some numbers with it and you know what's going on but I was with the car and then who's the owned it its got a 289 hypo v8 for Speed Hurst and 9 inch rear end in 2006 I had went to Fort Worth her quarters and I talked to him Mr Robert Kripke who was the world for his story and he couldn't find papers on it so if anybody work for security at will be back in those days in Utopia to company maybe that ship it up to the trucking company I be greatly appreciative

rst429
675

OCTANEROMANCER:os it is one of the first 2+2 fastbacks ever made, I would be inclined to think so, what a nice car, you should post some pic's, I'm sure a lot of Cargurus would love to see it!!!!!! And it would show us the color,motor,trim and keep us out of the suspense. It's killing us!!!!! lol lol lol

rst429
675

Kinneyhome: who ever told you that is correct, the car in front of your's could have been a Comet, with a vin# 100596, and the car behind your's could have been a Galaxy, with a vin# 100598. There where about 7 different cars coming down the line, at any giving time of day.....hope this helps

rst429
675

Here's a picture of the assembly line...NOTICE the third car back, it's a Galaxy, and the fifth car mite be a Falcon????? hope this helps

Kinneyhome
40

Thanks Bob T, I just wonder the History of my car since it was 3/10/64 second day VIN 100597 Wim White, Red Interior 170 CID 3spd (std stuff). How many mustangs built before it, was that ever recorded? I had my car at the Dearborn MI. Mustang Memories car show for the 50th anniv 2014, a lady had the first purchased Mustang Lt. Blue Conv. VIN# 109900 (9k something) so what were these first cars, who purchased? my DSO is Dallas. Would really like to know more about the history of my Mustang but was told there are no records available. I have owned the car since 1984, father purchased it in 1979 from South Carolina. At that time the Local Sec.of State did not track any of the info and i neglected to keep the title, state kept them in that era and everything was manual no computers..

rst429
675

Kinneyhome: Is this the lady you are re furring to, I think she bought the first 1964.5 CONV. ever sold?? But as far as the history of yours, the vin# and the code plate, on the door is all i can really go by!! as of history and Orginal equipment.....hope this helps

rst429
675

From what i've read, and was told by other people, the records,are not available,they where destroyed, for some odd reason!! Nobody really knows, or can say what really happened to them....hope this helps

You think this is helpful.
Kinneyhome
40

Bob, Yes I meet her at the show. Yes, i was looking for purchase history, i did trace my data plate and all is original, i started restoration in 1984 and finished in 1991. It took a long time (15 years) to find a NOS FoMoCo C0AB-17696-E Mirror, i also have cardboard sun visors instead of padded, those were a choir to find NOS but alot easier in 1980's instead of today. I found out a lot of the first cars did not have mirrors and the dealers put Univ mirror kits on. I have alot of odd stuff, i have talked to the owner of Henry Ford II prototype mustang to compare some of the oddities. Very interested in how many early ones are out there all original and not full of aftermarket parts. I'm also curious about value, i hear all kinds of ranges from std coupe 12k to 50k I understand condition and originality has everything to do with it and a buyer that really wants to purchase. I'm at the stage of getting bored and looking for another project, this time a convertible.

Howe_pete
30

@ Kinneyhome ... "I had my car at the Dearborn MI. Mustang Memories car show for the 50th anniv 2014, a lady had the first purchased Mustang Lt. Blue Conv. VIN# 109900 (9k something) so what were these first cars, who purchased?" Is your Point that her car is the first convertible, or the first Lt. Blue convertible? My car is convertible with #909.

Howe_pete
30

another photo :)

rst429
675

I was told that the lady with the light blue conv. was the first {mustang} ever sold!!!!!in 1964, It wasn't the first ever made, here's was the first one sold..Regardless of the vin# There where hundreds,on car lots all over the country, she just so happen to be the first one documented sold...That is what was explained to me......hope this helps

Howe_pete
30

no worries, but this is exacly what makes the mystery and madness of the first Mustangs so intriguing ... I have heard of a different car which was the first sold. It would be great if we could have the records and not have so many unanswered questions and conflicting Information ... but would that not be a Little bit boring ? and take away some of the charm of the Famous 64' Mustang to which no really knows how many there are ? :)

webroughtcolor
0

@rst429 I have what I believe is a 1964 1/2 Mustang. But I am not sure. I bought it as a 1965, but when I did some research on the internet I saw where somebody previously sold the exact same car as a 1964 1/2. Maybe you could help me? Here is the Vin.# 5R07D102112 Here is the Vin Tag.# 65A 3 86 24G 72 1 6 It is a D code which I read that it means it's a 289 4v+ Which I don't understand what the 4v+ Means. Also, would this mean it is the 2,112th Mustang in those colors made? or would it mean it is the 2,112th Made in 1964 or 1965? Also, could it be a 65 because of it having a 289? or could it still be a 1964 1/2 with a 289? It shows that it was made on July 24th I am so confused please please PLEASE help me!

Tab Lagow
0

Hey there all....ok, I have done lots of reading..YES, they did make 1964 1/2...but they are called 65's...to say you have a 64 1/2 it must have all the falcon stuff: Generator, lrg horns on the rails, vented front for the battery, "A" stamped on the vent control knob, sharp edge on the hood, spare tire hold down...I do have a 1954 1/2....D Code, 4-barrel, with...4 speed....i took ourt generator (kept it) I put fiberglass gt hood (kept original)..and now have a gt looking pearl white...gonna finally get it on the road after 10 years...maybe sell if the price is right.....Tab

Tab Lagow
0

Webroughtcolor: YES....you have a D code, they came with 3 sizes engines....mine is also the 289 4V, with 4speed tranny...now if you have all the other things on the car...(check my earlier post)...than you might have the early 64 1/2...(but sold as 65)

rst429
675

Webroughtcolor: You do have a 64.5, the D code was for the 64.5 only. IN 1965 the 289 4v was a A or K code cars.,,,,,Assembly plant Code Assembly plant F Dearborn, Michigan R San Jose, California T Metuchen, New Jersey Body Codes Body Code Body Style 07 Hardtop 08 Convertible 09 Fastback Engine Codes CID = Cubic Inch displacement, V8 = 8 cylinder, I6 = 6 cylinder, V = induction venturi (4V would be a 4 barrel carburetor) Engine Code Engine Type A V8 289 CID 4V C V8 289 CID 2V D (64½ only) V8 289 CID 4V F (64½ only) V8 260 CID 2V K V8 289 CID 4V High Performance T I6 200 CID 1V U (64½ only) I6 170 CID 1V look at these links..http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topics/decode/decode.html.....and...http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/students/Blommel/. hope this helps

rst429
675

BODY 65A-hardtop, COLOR 3- poppy red, TRIM 86- black vinyl, DATE 24G- 24 july, DSO 72- san jose, AXLE 1- 3.00:1, TRANS 6- C4.....hope this helps

rst429
675

Webroughtcolor: Mine was built three days later on , July 28th, any 65 that was built before Aug. 17th , Is a true 1964.5......hope this helps

ArtyOfficer
5

Is there any way to look up information for a replacement data plate, using only the VIN? My VIN is 5F07U194194. The car is painted Wimbledon White, and the interior is all red. The car has a running 170 engine, and the 3 sp manual trans. I know where to find all the codes, but where can I find the DSO and the date? Am I just out of luck? Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike Casey
0

I have a convertible with warranty # 5fo8u209086. It has what someone told me was factory air as there are no vents. Not sure what that means as far as rare... built on 7/23/64. Was Raven Black with red crinkle vinyl interior. 170 Iv I6 engine. Anyone know what all this means? In process of restoring. . Thanks...

ArtyOfficer
5

Not sure whether it was an available option... but I know that there is an aftermarket system that will use the 1964 1/2's existing vents: http://www.classicautoair.com/Mustang_Air_Conditioning_Ford_AC.html

rst429
675

It was a option, there are no vents, because there on the air unit, itself, under the dash, here's a picture....hope this helps

You think this is helpful.
Chipi
5

rst429, Tab, and all the rest of Pony kickers here, thank you for all the great info. And yes I have a 64 1/2, with the sharp edged hood, 64 right headlight bucket & 65 left side, small horns, slotted spare tie down, rubber plug tail lights with DOT 64 stamp, falcon instruments, factory air, matching dual door mirrors, Sep. 4th 1964 build date, buuuuttt..... it's titled "1964", because in Oklahoma if the car was built in 64, sold in 64, and registered in 64, "IT'S A 64". Many of us haven't paid attention to local DOT or DMV laws around the country, they differ a lot !!! Mine needs restoration but it is complete and all original, that's why it's for sale now, I don't want to make it a street rod, it should be restored to original.

rst429
675

Chipi: Thanks for the kind words. What is information, if you don't share it? This way we all can see the bigger picture!...Something is puzzling me though...You said you have small horns, are they mounted on the frame, between the motor and radiator, or on the grill? Does your car have air vents, in front of the battery? Your picture, shows a R, as the second digit, That means it was built in San Jose, California? And the build date states Sept. 4th? Alot of the parts for the mustang, was ran, until they where gone. weather it was a 64.5 or 65. There is only a few,tell tell signs!!....hope this helps

rst429
675

QUICK PRODUCTION FACTS 03/09/64 - Production begins Dearborn, Michigan assembly plant - F 04/17/64 - Mustang sales begin 05/08/64 - First adjustable passenger seat 06/01/64 - Shelby's revamping begins 07/13/64 - Production begins San Jose, California assembly plant - R 07/31/64 - Last documented 1964-1/2 08/01/64 - First documented 1965 08/17/64 - Believed to be last 1964-1/2 08/20/64 - Engine change 5 to 6 bolt 01/27/65 - Shelby introduced for sale 02/01/65 - Production begins Metuchen, New Jersey assembly plant - T 02/28/65 - First documented GT built 04/17/65 - GT vehicle sales begin 08/16/65 - Begin production of 1966 model in Dearborn and San Jose 08/25/65 - Begin production of 1966 model in Metuchen 01/01/66 - DSO (district sales office) codes changed 02/03/66 - Earliest Sprint 200 03/02/66 - One millionth Mustang 03/08/66 - Engine change; valve train.......hope this helps!!!!

rst429
675

MUSTANG PRODUCTION NUMBERS Model Year Body Style Description Produced Total 1964-1/2 65A Hardtop 92,705 76A Convertible 28,833 121,538 1965 63A Fastback, Standard 71,303 63B Fastback, Luxury 5,776 65A Hardtop, Standard 372,123 65B Hardtop, Luxury 22,232 65C Hardtop, Bench Seat 14,905 76A Convertible, Standard 65,663 76B Convertible, Luxury 5,338 76C Convertible, Bench Seat 2,111 559,451 1966 63A Fastback, Standard 27,809 63B Fastback, Luxury 7,889 65A Hardtop, Standard 422,416 65B Hardtop, Luxury 55,938 65C Hardtop, Bench Seat 21,397 76A Convertible, Standard 56,409 76B Convertible, Luxury 12,520 76C Convertible, Bench Seat 3,190 607,568

rst429
675

Mike: You do have a 64.5, The fifth digit is a U, witch means it come from the factory with a 170 ci,,, in-line 6... They discontinued that motor, and offered a 200ci for 1965, just like the 260ci for 64.5, and the 289 for 65.... here's some quick facts,....Engine Code Engine Type A V8 289 CID 4V C V8 289 CID 2V D (64½ only) V8 289 CID 4V F (64½ only) V8 260 CID 2V K V8 289 CID 4V High Performance T I6 200 CID 1V U (64½ only) I6 170 CID 1V....hope this helps