Gas Mileage

Texan Rice
45

Asked by Texan Aug 19, 2009 at 11:20 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet C/K 1500

I have a 95 Chevy ext. Cab right now. Is there anything that I could possibly do to increase the gas mileage on my 5.7 liter gas Engine??? Cold Air Intake? New Air Filter? New Spark Plugs or any hoses???

Also, how would I reset my gas gauge? Everywhere I drive, my gauge like dances and I never get a good estimate on how much gas I really have.

Any tips or pointers would be HIGHLY appreciated!!!!

Mj Hulsing
75

u could try a tune up(spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, plug wires and a fuel filter) For the fuel gauge it could be a problem with your sending unit. check the wiring just a few ideas for you

Tim Gaffron
35

that is the 5.7 TBI, throttle body injection motor. On mine, I put a true dual exhaust system and gained about 3.5 MPG but if you do just a full magnaflow system with a high flow catalytic convertor you will get 3 MPG better, the truck had that on when i got it. Just make sure to baby the gas pedal, and yes, your gauge is the same as all of them, up to 96 they had the same gauges from 88-95. They do tend to jump around in those trucks. If you watch it closer, its more like 3rds of a tank, when u fill it to 3/4, 3/4 to 1/4, then 1/4 to empty. I have the exhaust system and a K and N air filter, which also helps. the cold air intake doesnt really make a difference, just get a K and N. I also have a 3" body lift and some other mods, and I get about 15 averaged between town and highway. Let me know what you get, what you do to the truck and how it helps. good luck. PS...o ya, and dont waste your money on a throttle body spacer, they dont work.

Texan Rice
45

Thanks Tim for the info. I have about a 3" body lift with 33" Mud tires on it now, which don't help but I am looking for roughly 18" tire and wheel packages right now w/low profile to help that problem. As for the K and N air filter, and a TRUE dual exhaust, I am gonna probably just wait and have my parents get that for me for christmas or something. I am only 17, lol....so hopefully they help me out a bit.

Will Thielen
45

my truck does the same with the gas gauge i have a 89 chevy with dual masterflow exhust lifted 4 inches with 33 ich yokohama tress

Jared Dueland
15

one of my buddys had a hypertech chip in his 5.7 L chevy and he got like 3 more mpg. if your truck is tbi you wont have a obd2 plug in and you will have to get a chip that replaces the stock one in your computer. i have a stock 1998 chevy z-71 and it gets about 13 crusin around.

griprim12
335

Try a 4 inch muffler or a 6 inch to increase back flow pressure .I had a glass pack 4 inch on and was getting 17 PMG and replaced it with a surburban muffler now now getting 13.5 mpg . wnated to reduce the noise but also reduced gas mileage .

griprim12
335

install 327 cu. inch heads on the motor

Kyle Konynenbelt
95

Put a throttle body spacer on my 305, and am getting over 10% fuel mileage. I also have my truck straightpiped, which right now is the best for my truck because i have a valvetrain problem, and backpressure makes my problem worse so i cut off my exhaust. It makes it loud and gives it a bit more power, but if you decide to do this, dont run your truck at high rpm because you don't want to have your valves float. I also have a k&n air filter and want to put a hole in my hood and make a shaker intake for my truck which will increase the cold air going into the engine. Also for better mileage put in 3.43:1 or 2something:1 ratio in the rear axle

griprim12
335

install 327 heads or reduce muffler down to 4 inch dis or 6 inch

chevyguy4life
50

Got a 93. I have long tube hooker headers, 3 inch exhaust all through, no catz, new spark plugs,new plug wires, cold air intake, throttle bottle spacer, msd ignition box,jet performance chip, msd coil and I get abot 17mpg highway and 12 in city.....did i mention its on a 6 inch lift kit with 315 tires lol

Sloth
75

run your tires close to max presure (caution bad in slipery weather) at speeds above 55mph leave your tail gate on and in the upright position with no box cover and drive with windows up. (reduces drag so mythbusters says) try to avoid use of a/c (it makes a difference) take it easy on the gas pedal. do a full tune up (use sinthetic oils they last longer and deal with tempature extreams better) use #1 gas. (higher octane the bigger the boom) OR spend a fair but of cash. cold air intake. headers and the rest of the exhaust. ignition upgrade. chip the engine. pollish the ports on the intake and the exhaust. lots of things you can do. good luck

silveradoz71
65

i have an 98 k1500 z71 4x4 3 inch lift and 33s at the moment 35s soon it has the 4.3 liter i was wondering around what kinda gas mileage itll get my email is z71_4x4_countryboy@yahoo.com thanks for any info or tips

Cam Broughton
0

what kinda lift is that sespention or boddy message me with anwsor at ski.guy.1@hotmail.com

Noah Jones
0

There are better manuals out there for a much cheaper price. Better compare prices and look for best quality. I got my manuals from www.carmanualstore.com - these manuals were the best and cheapest i found on the internet. And my customers are always happy with the results.

jsantore
20

got a gmc sierra94 c2500 5.7ltr no 4whl odometer showin 319,643 but i the dash was jacked up for 2 years so im over under 400,000 on orginal everthing but you know alternator starter etc but motor and trans original took the motor out once to change core plugs one rotted out by the housin with all that i just rambled on about would it still be worth puttin throttle body spacers in or should i let it rest

Owen Garrett
5

replace the o2 sensors

97chevy1500girl
55

i love all your trucks they all sound like mine and its pretty sweet to know im not the only one makin the older trucks get better mpg and grate performance still a toss up on should i do a throttle body spacer or not any thoughts? i got everything else :)

Andrew Hirschfield
20

i have a 1998 chevy 4x4 5.7. k&n air filter tru duals with flo-pro 2 in 2 out turbo muffler new platinium plugs new wires and distib rotor and superchip programmer when programed in xs mileage mode i get about 20 mpg highway 15 16 in town and average about 16 mpg in performance mode this programmer also you to change many things shift points and pressures i beleive it helped my mpg more then anything its a flashpaq programmer made by superchips cost about 400.00 bucks.

Jerome Baldwin
105

-spark plugs (bosch) -ignitions flush (mr.lube $100) -made big difference on my vehicle, sucked gas like crazy before i had it done!!now perfect! -engine flush(or you can add fuel additives to your gas tank and oil tank *cheaper*) - k&n air filter ($60 approx)/ or air intake (possibly better tires/ wheel balance& alignment new gas gauge?? or get a mechanic to check it out for safety precaution)

Alton Newman
0

I have a 97 chevy 1500 I have the same problem. Ill try some of what u guys said n see if it works

bmertler
10

Throttle body spacers only work where the fuel is introduced before the intake manifold, not in true fuel injected vehicles. This means TBI, and carb setups benefit from them.

califcarson
4,185

What wi9ll the extra gas mileage improvement cost? How much will you actually save and how long to recoup the cost of trinkets vs. doing nothing? The larger mud tires eat a lot of gas as they are not friction resistant tires. It's a truck, driven by a 17 year old with mud tires on it. It is not made for getting good mileage in these years. It is made to do truck work. Low gearing, for hauling and pulling power = low gas mileage. The best purchase is running shoes which are lighter then the lead boots you have now to show off or be the first away from the stop light. We've all been there, and some are still doing it at a price we accept.

Roscotrain21
20

I have a 95 Z71 with a 305 being a mechanic i had done all the above.i felt as tho my rpms were to high,then one day last week i couldnt put my truck in park. realized the shifter cable was streched and sure enough under the carpet the cable rusted and had streched. well all this time the truck was running betwwen gears. with the new cable my gas mileage has almost improved by double. wish i woulda found this a year or more ago. hope this helps some out there. Ron

6,745

overdrive is a wonderful thing aint it?

Eric Zinke
0

Mine has a 350 with a cold air intake, 33'' tires, 4x4, and i get about 18-20 cuz i got from plentywood montana to miles city montana on less than half a tank.

Eric Zinke
0

And itsa 93

tmoose18
0

i bought a 1991 chevy 2wd with a 350, i put a 3inch dual exhaust on it and 31 inch tires, workin on a 4 inch lift in the front and 3 in the back, can i get better mpg by putting higher or lower gears in the rear end?

califcarson
4,185

tmoose, if you go with low gears, you gain low end torque, but give up mileage. Higher rear end with those tires you lose a lot of power and normally have to run in a lower gear causing low gas mileage. Your not going to get anywhere near 20 mpg no matter what you do.

dameon
0

i got a 95 5.7 tbi on 38s by 15.50s with a throttle body spacer complete msd set up tru dual and 318 gears and get roughly 16 mpg