What are possible causes for service engine soon light?

alvinp
0

Asked by alvinp Jan 06, 2007 at 12:33 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet S-10

Service engine soon light is on.  Why?

bovan
11,200

Hey alvinp-- That darned check engine light is a problem for us all. Most of the time when it comes on it is a false alarm. The false positives usually come from the emissions control system. But how do you tell? Victor Manicotti, who has managed service departments for Saab and Volvo around the Boston area for years, always told me that unless you hear funny sounds or notice a change in performance, you are in no trouble. But you do have to get it reset and that means taking it to a mechanic. They will hook it up to the OBDII computer and a code will point out if you have a problem. Then they will reset the system. Maybe you put gas in your car before turning the engine off and some air got sucked into the system. Try the following link if you want to read up on it yourself- http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/checkengine.html. Good luck from Bovan.

DeBo13
395

There is one other way to fix that problem.....! It happend to me when my gas cap was not put on tight and air got in the gas tank while driving. So what I did was fill the tank , drive it out and refill tank and that cleared it up. No more " Check Engine Soon Light" Problem solved for me . Hope this works for you .

mikesrkn
90

in my experience almost always emissions issues. If you go to an Autozone they will check your check engine codes for free. You can then look up the code online to hep diagnose.

Biggee316
25

My service engine soon came on out of no where, I was stopped at a red light, and my engine stalled for a split second, the RPM's almost reached zero for a fraction of a second, and then the light came on... Since then the truck drives fine, sounds fine, and it has not happened again... but I will tale to a store/shop and see if they can tell me what caused that...