No idle

Carlos Lopez
55

Asked by Carlos Jul 08, 2008 at 06:30 PM about the 1988 Honda Prelude

Its a 88 honda prelude 2.0S model, which means its the 12 valve carburated engine. The car wont idle at the 800 rpm it is supposed to. All it does is sputter like its goning to turn off and then the vaccuum advance raises the rpm to about 1200 rpm where its fine, but thats too high. The timing is fine and I even cleaned out the gas tank of all the debris it had but the car still wont idle.

Adam Morgan
3,635

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211212

Charlie Beller
310

check your pcv valve and hose make sure its clean, this has been an issue with smaller import engines. i know it helped my honda. also check and see if the idle control motor switch contacts are not corroded,

A Facebook user
75

i had trouble like that w/ my 93 civic it did that when i put a higher grade gas in, after that tak was done i went back 2 regular and it stopped doing it

Carlos Lopez
55

that might be the problem. i put five gallons of 93 octane in it after i cleaned the tank out.