poor gas mileage

kjudge9916
0

Asked by kjudge9916 Apr 12, 2008 at 10:13 AM about the 2003 Honda CR-V

Love the car - bought Dec. 06.  But gas mileage dreadful - under 20 mpg.  Improved after air filter changed, but back to low miles again.  Is this standard?  I have about 25M miles on the car.  My 99 Odyssey was better than the CRV on mpg.

dvigano
8,695

You should be getting somewhere between 23 and 29 mpg. You have at least 3 options that I can think of. 1. Change your driving habbits. Fast starts and "flooring it" will hurt your mpg worse than anything. 2. Change your fuel source. You might be getting a poor grade of fuel based on lowest price. 3. Add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to your fuel tank once every other month. This might clean out the deposits that are robbing your mpg. Good luck!

shellybeans
25

do you have a fuel leak? checked your fuel filter?

Emily Beckstrom-Brown
55

Not sure why.... I have 278, 000. ML on my 1997 CR-V... I get better then that. Even with all my miles. Try changing your spark plugs... or your spark plug wires. That will cause not only gas Mileage but power loss.

Adam Morgan
3,925

What goes through my head... fuel filter? injection cleaner? Plugs/wires? oil leaking into plug wells from valve cover gasket?

bumpinaltima
70

I have a 2003 CRV and gas milage sucks. I just had firestone do the 3 stage fuel injector cleaning and changed out the plugs, no spark plug wires on this car, thats what I'm told. 89 bucks for plugs and 98 bucks for the fuel injection cleaning. Much better gas milage, 27 on highway, used to get about 20. I have 120,000 miles on it.

Paul Goodall
25

I've got a mk3 2.2 diesel (2007). Does over 30 mpg around town and over 40 on a longer journey. So like others have said, maybe there's something wrong with the car...

Jeff Pogue
65

Yeah must be something wrong with the car. My 02 gets about 30mpg.

gabe26_us
30

yur 03 crv has a fuel filter built into the fuel pump. so u cant change the fuel filter with changing the fuel pump. best off changing the plugs, and air filter, and putting a bottle of techron in the tank and if oil change is due to make sure u us the right oil. should improve the mpg.

mike1mn
50

My wife's CRV is a 2012. It had been getting about 27.5 mpg. It all of a sudden dropped to 23 mpg the last two tanks of fuel. I went to a local dealer and they said there was nothing wrong. No fuel change, no change in driving habits and all of a sudden it gets 23 mpg. Something is wrong. This was a great car. I have had other Hondas and Honda motorcycles. This will be the last Honda for me, unless this is fixed or gets better or heals up on its own.

cayosusa
20

I have a 2013 with less than 1500 miles on it. Was getting about 24.9. then I figured I would try pressing that green Econ button. Got worse mileage. turned the green button off and continued with worse mileage. Hasn't even had its first oil change yet. Love the car but very disappointed. Hopefully it will be something that can be fixed.