Rust by the rear body mounts. help.

d3rk
0

Asked by d3rk Dec 15, 2011 at 05:18 PM about the 1983 Ford Bronco

Just bought an 83 bronco. there is rust in the back. the body mounts are rusted through as well as the part right inside where you open the tail gate by the body mounts. From the left all the way to the right side of the bronco. I cannot find parts, idk what to search. when you search body mounts you get the rubber pieces which is not what i need at this time. Please can anyone help me?

papa

yes,sorry to say you bought a rust bucket,sence it is rusted where you say,the body needs to come off the frame bad cut out find a doner vehicle cut and wield.or sell it to a junkyard.

d3rk
0

So that's the only way to fix it? I knew about the rust cuz i was just gonna take it up to my fathers farm and play around with it but fell in love with it so i wanted to fix it up =/

Joseph Rota
245

Allright if ya really want to keep this rust bucket this is what ya need to do. jack the body up a few inches off the frame, jacking away from the rust holes, make sure it is stable and sit it on some 4x4 blocks so that it is at least 4" off the frame. however, if the body buckles while jacking or the jack pushes through the body then do yourself a favour and toss the body and use the frame to make a buggy! because that's all it would be good for. remove the old body mount rubbers from the frame. (if i have to explain a way to do this step then please bring the rust bucket to the scrap yard!) now cut the body metal back to where there is no rust. get some 1/16" sheet metal or 2 sheets of 1/32" cover hole and overlap over body metal by 1/2" if there is a shape or form that needs to be matched then I'm sure you know how to use a hammer. weld in and then spray topside, underside and welds with rocker guard. or if ya don't have a welder or a buddy with a welder this is where the 2 sheets of 1/32" sheet would come in. cut the 2 sheets to size needed with 1/2" overlap. one sheet should go underneath the body and the other on top. get some sheet metal screws that are longer than the 2 sheets and body metal. now get a buddy to help ya for this step position the sheets with 1/2" of overlap and drill holes through the sheets and body, that are 1/2 the width of the sheet metal screws, (otherwise it would take a while for the screws to sink through on their own.) minimum 3 holes per side now sink the screws through the holes. and spray with rocker guard or undercoating. drill the hole for the body mount bolt install new body mount rubber put frame back down and bolt it back up. you're done, and this took me a half hour to type up. Enjoy cursing yourself for all the work you are going to put into that truck because it's a rust bucket.

Colin Rivet
2,355

what i did was jack the body off frame and bolted a metal plate from underneeth.drilled a hole to pass the bolt for the new dody mount.it was a old truck so i used hockey pucks as body mounts. used it like that for 3 years and the guy i sold it to had it for years.easy and cheap way to fix.