how do i check the transmission fluid level

jemarthompson
0

Asked by jemarthompson Dec 23, 2012 at 10:47 PM about the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu

45,675

There is a plug on the side and a red plastic cap on the top of the transmission. Remove the plug. If nothing comes out, add fluid until it does. You might be able to see inside with a small mirror and a flashlight.

CarCarePro
70

December 24, 2012 I realize this post is very old. however, many others may read the answer here and take it seriously. In many American cars there is a dip stick located towards the rear of the engine located on the right side (Drivers side of the vehicle if looking into the engine compartment. Checking transmission fluid is simple if you follow a few rules. 1. Always check transmission fluid when the engine is warm 2. Always check transmission fluid when the engine is running 3. Only check transmission fluid when the vehicle is on Level ground 4. Only add the fluid a little at a time, maybe 1/2 pint until it reaches the line 5. Never add more fluid than is needed, to much will damage the trans 6. Only use the fluid designated by your manufacturer Other than that use a funnel when adding, and be safe when working on ANY vehicle. I hope this helps future Readers. CarcarePro

Jason Zane
2,905

there is NO DIPSTICK on newer GM vehicles. tenspeed has it right.. in addition, engine must be running to check it.

aaacar
185

GM WENT TOO A TRANSMISSION FREE CHECK I HAVE IT ON MY 2000 PONTIAC,IF YOUR MILAGE IS OVER 60000 MIES GOTOGM SHOP AND ASK THEM TO CHANGE YOUR TRANS. FILTER AND OIL,MUST BE DOON AT GM SERVICE FACILITY.................aaacar

aaacar
185

this GM trans.is not supposed to be serviced out side of GM facility,had my pontiac done at 60000 miles cost about 100-150.00 well worth the charge,lot of do it your selfers overfill or under fill.............aaacar

45,675

and a lot of do it your selfers get it just right. Do you work for GM since you say that no one is supposed to service the transmission? All people and all independent shops are incompetent?

aaacar
185

go play with your new christmas toys, and quit looking to insult people . a lot of independant shops don't have techs. that are up to date on all proceders. and i think may be some of what your saying means you are not A.S.E. certified

Peter Kiryluk
20

I think this is why GM sucks, how do you not have a dip stick or a way to know what is in there. or have access to the most importunate part of the car. What a pile.

aaacar
185

peter, you don't say what kind of GM vehicle you have? my ram air pontiac is an auto. you must have an auto. too so these transmissions are great!!!!!!! no need to check fluid level. that's why no dipstick............

gmsucks2013
30

no dipstick means they want more money when your cars tranny goes out.. all part of their game to get more cash out of you . that is why gm sucks. that's exactly why they went and needed to go on welfare.

Roco
90

The transmission dipstick on a Malibu 2008 is located towards the front of the engine on the right side (Drivers side) by the car battery; you won’t locate it right away because its view is blocked by the air intake hose, but it’s not hard to squeeze your hand to pull the dipstick without removing the air intake hose. In fact, it's not a dipstick like the engine oil dipstick, and it’s more like a screwed "cap" similar to the hydraulic direction reservoir cap. 1) With the engine hot and running, pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, and put it back 2) Pull it out again and check the fluid level. The proper fluid level is marked on the dipstick To see the condition of the fluid better, drip it on a white paper towel. The new automatic transmission fluid usually comes red. Over time, it deteriorates and becomes more brownish. It's good idea to change it before it becomes too dark

NJNightRider
0

Hi, I have an: 06 Malibu MAxx LT, love it except for handling (wondering if I can replace the springs/shocks with SS equipment?? but that's another track) Some qts on trans fluid change since I do just about everything myself. 1. IS the only way to "drain" the fluid to carefully drop the pan with spilling it all over the place? 2. Fill the trans through that level plug hole on the right side? I've got 99K on the car, it was a Hertz rental up to about 35K , don't know if the trans fluid has ever been changed. 3. Is it bad to flush the trans fluid at 95k??? 4. HOW TO FLUSH to the fluid from the converter? Thanks ! Will

tita08
0

I have a 2007 chevy malibu. for the past few weeks i have noticed that my rpm flutters and is not really synchronizing with the mph...does anyone have an idea on how to fix this or what it might be?