Front end shimmy when braking at speeds of 60 mpg or more

Creditlady
0

Asked by Creditlady Dec 29, 2009 at 11:11 AM about the 2007 Chevrolet Malibu

I have a 2007 Malibu sedan.  I have just replaced the front tires and the front and rear brake pads and rotors.  After all this, the car's front end still shakes badly when I brake at speeds of 60 mpg or higher and especially if it is on a down grade.  It feels as if the shaking is up near the driver's side passenger cabin.  The car does not do this if I am braking at slower speeds. Any ideas what this could be.  I can't continue to spend money of probable fixes in the hopes we hit the correct  fix.

Richard Moore
35

New pads need some time to bed in so this might be cos your bein to demanding on them to soon.. Other than that! it could be you have a warped disc on one of your front wheels .. Thing is, if it didnt do it before you changed your pads then its almost def your new pads.. ease up and give your pads time to bed or you will screw up your brake disc..

Clayton Ealey
35

i would say u didnt give the pads enough time to break in like the other guy said, take the front rotors in to get turned, then reinstal them and let the brakes seat before you pound on them. you can start the initial break in by using the brakes lightly for a half kilometer (or 1/4 mile) at a time repeat several times then be nice to the brakes and onlly brake hard for emergencies for the next 1000k after they should be fine

trip65

check the tie rods or you bought warped front rotors, it happens sometimes.

buzzcut73
0

I have the same problem, the pads are fine on mine, the rotors are as well. My wheels just got re-balanced and I have new tires. I hear the same lame answers about rotors and pads, I am going to see if the tie rods are bad, and check into a stabilizer as well. This seems to be a problem on malibu and malibu maxx. If this doesn't fix mine, I am going to trade it off and get a Fusion.

buzzcut73
0

I have the same problem, I replaced the rotors, pads, calipers, and finally the right side cv axle, I am trying the left tomorrow. It feels like the front end is going to come apart as I brake. The car has had several other issues, but most have been easy fixes. By the way, the tie rod ends where fine, the steering control was fine as well. My mechanic said he has actually lost sleep trying to figure out what is causing this. My next step after the cv joints is to buy a Ford...I KNOW that will fix it.

Rucko
2,275

cv joint would not do that . it's either warped rotors or a worn tie rod.

Hulie
0

I check all that an I think it's the motor or trans mounts because when I jacked it up a crunk up the car put it in drive an hit the brakes it shook like hell