Why is my oil life at 0%?

Amber9078
0

Asked by Amber9078 Jul 31, 2014 at 06:13 PM about the 2007 Chevrolet Impala

I was driving when my 2007 Chevy Impala had a service indicator light come on stating "engine overheating, pull over". After checking the coolant I noticed there wasn't any. I refilled the coolant and restarted the car. The engine temp seems to be fine but the oil life is now at 0%. Does this mean I need to change the oil? (Just a few days before it was at 65%) Or is this somehow related to the engine overheating?

Michael Kane
12,095

The car overheating may have tripped the oil sensor. It would probly be a good idea to check the oil and keep an eye on all of your vital fluids over the next few days to make sure the motor hasnt been damaged. Also check the oil and make sure its not milky in color or has any coolant mixed with it.

MJG
55

Also reset the oil life to 100 % to ensure that it is working properly and reducing as you drive it over time.