Why do my headlights and interior lights dim while driving or parked

larry8752
0

Asked by larry8752 Jan 18, 2007 at 11:21 AM about the 2007 Chevrolet Impala

While I am driving atnight my headlights and interior light continually dim and brighten.  My dealer says they have been able to duplicate the problem but that GM has no solution, is this true. This is very aggravating.

bovan
11,010

Dear larry8752-- I suggest you stay right on top of this dealer. In Massachusetts, where I live, this sounds like a safety issue. Bring it to the dealer three times for the same problems and they have to give you a new car. There are all kinds of things that may be causing it, but that is their problem to find a fix. What would happen if you were driving on a dark road and the lights dimmed to the point that all the sudden you had no lights at all? I suggest you call the Chevrolet customer assistance center at 1-800-222-1020. Don't wait. Good luck from Bovan.

Anonymous
0

i have the same problem, called GM, no help

tkj22
55

Not sure if this was ever resolved for either of you but without knowing what year and trim level you have it is rather hard to diagnose. However, if you have the 3.9 with the Active Fuel Management there is a TSB that your dealership should have discussing how to correct this problem. It involves adding an additional ground and some other things to fix. If you need more help on this let me know.

Lisa Proctor
35

I have an 02 and mine does the same thing. As if you power is being drained or something. I thought that that was just my car and I would have thought they would have found the problem with the new model years. I am curious to know if replacing the alternater would help. My car does it when I am coasting or sometimes breaking. It is very obnoxious because people think you are flashing them.