'07 HHR the engine temp gauge only works some of the time when not workng still have heat but no a/c

luvmlkwag
30

Asked by luvmlkwag Apr 17, 2010 at 03:37 PM about the 2007 Chevrolet HHR

'07 HHR the engine temp gauge only works some of the time - when not working the heater still works but not the A/C. If the engine temp gauge is working the A/C works. The engine light stays on for no apparent reason and the left rear passenger door lock no longer works with the rest of the door locks.

luvmlkwag
30

It was a damaged thermostat that was causing the engine light to come on and the temp gauge to not work. The rubber on the thermostat was all shot to hell, stretched out, torn and missing some pieces. After I replaced it the, temp gauge started working again and the engine light went out after I had driven about 24 miles.

mlsandman
120

I just bought my 2007 HHR 3 weeks ago and yesterday I noticed the exact same problem. When the temp gauge didn't work the a/c didn't work either and the engine light came on and has stayed on since. About every 3rd trip the A/C and temp gauge will work. You mentioned that you replaced the thermostat and it fixed the temp gauge problem but what about the a/c? Thanks.

hagster
30

have had same problem with my 07 for months. codes read bad sensor&therm. replaced sensor &was told therm probably not bad because it worked ocasionally. going to buy therm now.

vernle
0

My oil presser gage stops working also,

hagster
30

never had problem with oil gauge, but replaced thermostat on 12-16 & after start&stop 3or4 times, everything was back to normal. therm rubber was all distorted also. a/c works fine & ck engine lite went out.

anjy834u
3,115

you need to change the sensors and for aic check the air filter. http://chevrolethhr.net/

shewe
75

needs new thermostat

bt0210
165

This is an easy fix. Just did it myself in my driveway. It will take you longer to remove and re-install the lower radiator hose than it will to replace the thermostat. My advice would be to go to Autozone and spend $37.00 on an OEM hose clamp tool, and make sure you have an extra long extension for your ratchet, and of course, a 10 mm socket. The thermostat housing itself does not require a gasket, the thermostat itself has an o-ring on it, so don't buy an extra gasket, it already comes installed on the new thermostat(22.99 at Autozone). I was shocked at how quick this was to do! Save your hard earned cash and do it yourself!!

Bananaka
10

After replacing the thermostat did it also fix the AC problem?

shewe
75

it fix the problem but it set me back 275.00 to replace the thermostat

Scott Davis
0

I found out it is my thermostat I need to replace where can I find a cheaper part then at the dealership

syclone93
0

I have a similar problem with an as yet undiscovered cause - As some of you state - both the temp gauge and the AC become inoperative at the same time - The code displayed on my code reader indicated no temperature sensor input - I foolishly replaced the sender and it accomplished nothing - going back with the code reader again when the light came back on and the gauge and AC again inop there was an engine temperature displayed on the reader so I knew the sender works - a rest immediately restarts the gauge and the AC. Whats odd is that the gauge and AC may fail but no light and no code - But even with no code pushing the clear codes button on the code reader gets it all back up and working - sometimes for a day / maybe a week / could be a month. So I am thinking cluster ?? - BCM ?? - who knows but the code is incorrect