Brake Job 2006 Escape

shiner51
0

Asked by shiner51 May 22, 2008 at 09:56 PM about the 2006 Ford Escape

This is a Ford fiasco. I tried every metric and standard size hex tool I had to get the caliper bolts out. They were either to small or to large. Two local Ford Shop Foremen said that it takes a 7mm hex tool. Guess what? Wrong. It takes a 9mm hex tool to do the job on this Escape. Snap On was the only supplier that had one by the way...$21.00, now I can't figure out how to get the rotor off. HELP!! Does anyone know?

wyldewill
50

If it is like my 2005, take a hammer and bang the crap out of it, it'll pop, maybe even some wd-40. They rust on and look like a complete peice, but the center is not connected to the rest, NO NEED TO REMOVE CENTER NUT. That is the front, now for the rear disc.......................

rickescape
175

Shiner51 and wyldewill - I am working on the rear disk brakes on my 2006 Escape, 4wd. The caliper bolts are 7mm hex. They came out OK. The calipers with disks do not clear the mounting bracket. Do I have to remove rotor to slide the calipers out? Do I have to remove the center nut on the rear axle to remove the rotor? What tool is available to hold the axle while I try to turn that axle nut? I am guessing that the axle nut is held on with much torque and that I would need a breaker bar. I am stuck. (By the way I have yet to need pads on the front. Thanks for the tip on the 9mm.)

Dianna West
0

My husband thought he was going nuts today but many thanks to this online post I was able to put a smile on his face. A few months ago he purchased a 7mm to fix the brakes on our ford escape. So knowing he had the tool from the prior car repair he took off the two front tires and proceeded to repair our broken brakes on the front little did he know the size was different on the front of the ford escape and needed the 9mm. He has been struggling all day and looked everywhere for the tool that he thought he had...I even said I can't believe you don't remember what tool you used before and where you put it....The man was also at a auto repair mans house and tried all of his tools. What a nightmare!!! This post has finally put a smile on his face!! He said he thought he was going crazy!!!! Ford Motor Company needs to make their customer's aware of this crap!!! My husband did not need this stress!!! Many thanks again for turning our day into a successful event!!! Just wish I had looked on line this AM :)