Do I have to get a spare remote key for my ford focus from the main dealer ? Who is quoting around £230 for one key! Or can I get it done somewhere else where it's £100? Is it exactly the same thing?! Thanks!

danny111111
20

Asked by danny111111 Apr 11, 2013 at 01:05 PM about the 2007 Ford Focus

Do I have to get a spare remote key for my ford focus from the main dealer ? Who is quoting around £230 for one
key! Or can I get it done somewhere else where it's £100? Is it exactly the same thing?! Thanks!

17,795

you can buy one from where ever you want. but the dealer will have to program it.

114,065

Unless you already have 2 keys and want a spare 3rd, you can program it yourself. But if you only have one, Kbro is right. Either dealer or locksmith, ( only certain ones can, search around).

Kaveshan Palavar
25

It should come from the dealer with a Spare that's part of the road charges

DavidH25

Yep, those guys are right, I wasn't doubting them but all I could find was a how~to for the remote, if that will be of any help and you used the lbs not $ so I took this from Ford Focus UK: 007 Through 2010 Turn the ignition from "Off" to "Run" eight times in 10 seconds. The locks will cycle to confirm that you've entered programming mode. Press any key on the first remote you're programming. Perform this within 20 seconds of Step 1. The door locks will cycle to confirm programming. Repeat Step 2 with each additional remote, within 20 seconds of the prior programming. The locks will cycle after each successful programming. Turn the key to the "Off" position to exit the programming mode.

danny111111
20

Thanks for your replies, I've booked a mobile locksmith guy who cuts and programs a new key for £90, cheapest i could find.

DavidH25

That's, what, uh $125 US? something like that. Good as it will get. I didn't look it up, let me know if I am way off

danny111111
20

Its $138.. The main Ford dealer here wants $353 so a big difference!

linclon_j
80

You can buy and program your own key. You will have to have two working remote keys (unless your focus is old enough where you only needed one key to reprogram). Otherwise you'll have to get an authorized dealer to do it for you. To keep expenses down remember Ford makes two types of programmable keys. The more expensive one includes all the buttons which open and closes the locks, etc. The less expensive one only allows you to open the door using the key and start the engine - it doesn't have any push buttons on it. This should be good enough for an emergency spare key.