Engine revs and loses power when driving.

kaycia
0

Asked by kaycia May 29, 2009 at 03:07 PM about the 2006 Ford Focus

I have had this car in for a fix at two different dealers.  When driving at highway speeds the tachometer revs to 5 or 6,000 RPMs car loses power.  The first fix was a problem with the cruise control cable.  Replaced.  Issue was first noted when using cruise control.  This did not fix problem.  Next time in service stated they were unable to duplicate problem but there was a service bulletin and they adjusted the idle speed.  This also did not fix the problem.  The car is now shaking and reving at 30 mph on short trips also.  First two fixes were within the 30k warranty, now past.  Any suggestions?

Curtis Wilson
195

What do you mean by losing power? Does the car die?

Jon Riemenschneider
55

sounds like a tranny issue if ur 5-6,000 rpm at highway speeds.

David Goldsworthy
45

sounds like your clutch is slipping.

gweiss
120

2001 Ford focus ZX3 2.0l dohc "AUTOMATIC" I beleive i have a similiar problem. When driving from a stop car seems to be fine but as the RPM's climb and press harder on the pedal the car faulters/stumbles, in which it will not accelerate, making me back off of the pedal to slowly(very slowly) accerate. So far I've started at the least costly fixes: 1. cleaned air filter 2. cleaned throttle body 3. cleaned maf sensor 4. replaced fuel filter 5. replaced ignition coil 6. added 1 can of sea foam to fuel tank 7. plug wire #4 is a tad loose, tried to crimp the butt to help but still a bit loose, I will try and change the wires ASAP. Now I'm stuck, I did manage to fix the spuddering and bouncing off the rev limiter at 3k. I now rev all the way to 5k and the car bogs down and won't accelerate?? Any insight, advice, suggestions are greratly appreciated! Graham

gweiss
120

SORRY, ADD-ON someone suggested that it may be the knock sensor?? but for tomorrow I will try and change the plugs and wires.

Su'ad Barakat
280

Hey I'm having exactly the same problem with my Ford Focus. "When driving from a stop car seems to be fine but as the RPM's climb and press harder on the pedal the car faulters/stumbles, in which it will not accelerate" Were you able to find out what was wrong with the car? Did you manage to eliminate the stumbling and how it wouldnt accelerate? I really need help, i've changed filters, spark plugs, spark plug leads, cleaned maf, changed fuel pump, changed battery ...

Jagzbx
80

got the same problem. when on the motorway coming up hill drive it doesn't go more than 50mph. even if i put the foot down it doesn't seem to build up speed. i changed clutch. cleaned the EGR value. but fault is still there!!!

radiofreak28
50

I have the same problem...I'm being told that I have a blocked cat converter! I don't know what to do...has anyone ever discovered what's causing this to happen????

try2diy
10

These symptoms are almost exactly what was happening to my 2001 Focus ZX3. We replaced plugs, wires, O2 sensor, starter coil, professionally cleaned jets, and replaced the fuel filter. Still acted like it was running out of gas though testing of fuel pump showed correct pressure/vacuum. Turns out that it WAS the fuel pump but the 3 times it was tested, they each showed a false positive that everything was indeed working properly. Faulty fuel pump finally showed when gauge was rigged to attach near the fuel regulator and instantly it showed that the fuel pump was definitely not working. We replaced the complete fuel pump module (recommended by Ford on a RECALL that expired in 2005) and problems were finally solved. That was a tough one that cost a lot more money and time than it should have. Good luck.

jpm_2
0

I had my 2000 ford focus SE DOHC throttle body replaced after a high rpm on idle and hesitate to accelerate from stopping. I had my engine light on and the error was P0221 which says TPS. Now, the car is running great.

jpm_2
0

anyways, ford dealership told me that the Throttle Body won't close causing it to hesitate to accelerate and very high rpm on an idle. Ford made a newly design TB with TPS included.

Kyle St Clair
0

does it have a cvt transsmission i had a 06 freestyle same problem they said tranny the where wrong it was electronic and i gave up but i was down to the throttle postiton sensor and shift module i figured out it was not the tranny by doing this Step 1 let the vehicle hit run temp in drive way or parking lot step 2 shut the car off and turn back on drive car see if it still does it after that if that works then your down to electric problem such as not reading that is supposed to shift