Engine revs and loses power when driving.

kaycia
0

Asked by kaycia May 29, 2009 at 03:07 PM about the 2006 Ford Focus

I have had this car in for a fix at two different dealers.  When driving at highway speeds the tachometer revs to 5 or 6,000 RPMs car loses power.  The first fix was a problem with the cruise control cable.  Replaced.  Issue was first noted when using cruise control.  This did not fix problem.  Next time in service stated they were unable to duplicate problem but there was a service bulletin and they adjusted the idle speed.  This also did not fix the problem.  The car is now shaking and reving at 30 mph on short trips also.  First two fixes were within the 30k warranty, now past.  Any suggestions?

Curtis Wilson
115

What do you mean by losing power? Does the car die?

Jon Riemenschneider
35

sounds like a tranny issue if ur 5-6,000 rpm at highway speeds.

David Goldsworthy
35

sounds like your clutch is slipping.

gweiss
70

2001 Ford focus ZX3 2.0l dohc "AUTOMATIC" I beleive i have a similiar problem. When driving from a stop car seems to be fine but as the RPM's climb and press harder on the pedal the car faulters/stumbles, in which it will not accelerate, making me back off of the pedal to slowly(very slowly) accerate. So far I've started at the least costly fixes: 1. cleaned air filter 2. cleaned throttle body 3. cleaned maf sensor 4. replaced fuel filter 5. replaced ignition coil 6. added 1 can of sea foam to fuel tank 7. plug wire #4 is a tad loose, tried to crimp the butt to help but still a bit loose, I will try and change the wires ASAP. Now I'm stuck, I did manage to fix the spuddering and bouncing off the rev limiter at 3k. I now rev all the way to 5k and the car bogs down and won't accelerate?? Any insight, advice, suggestions are greratly appreciated! Graham

gweiss
70

SORRY, ADD-ON someone suggested that it may be the knock sensor?? but for tomorrow I will try and change the plugs and wires.

Su'ad Barakat
130

Hey I'm having exactly the same problem with my Ford Focus. "When driving from a stop car seems to be fine but as the RPM's climb and press harder on the pedal the car faulters/stumbles, in which it will not accelerate" Were you able to find out what was wrong with the car? Did you manage to eliminate the stumbling and how it wouldnt accelerate? I really need help, i've changed filters, spark plugs, spark plug leads, cleaned maf, changed fuel pump, changed battery ...

Jagzbx
30

got the same problem. when on the motorway coming up hill drive it doesn't go more than 50mph. even if i put the foot down it doesn't seem to build up speed. i changed clutch. cleaned the EGR value. but fault is still there!!!

radiofreak28
0

I have the same problem...I'm being told that I have a blocked cat converter! I don't know what to do...has anyone ever discovered what's causing this to happen????