Can I make a '68 Chevelle a 9 second car?

TaylorLeFever
0

Asked by TaylorLeFever Jul 12, 2012 at 01:17 AM about the 1968 Chevrolet Chevelle

What would it take?

Denis Sagendorf
355

YES IT CAN BE DONE, & WITHOUT ALOT OF WORK OR MONEY. BIG BLOCK, CAM, INTAKE MANIFOLD, PROPER CARBS, REAREND GEARS. GOING FOR THE DRAG STRIP, GUT ALL USELESS WEIGHT.

Kevin Reichert
155

Yes, you can make a chevelle go 9 seconds. The only way you can do it without a lot of work though, is by spending a lot of money to have some one do it for you. Cutting weight will help a lot, but they are very heavy cars, fiberglass panels will help but they will not be cheap. A stock trans won't take the power to go 9 seconds and a bone stock suspension won't either. What I'm saying is you will not succeed just by dropping a huge motor in the car.

MrEvolution
245

How come everyone only talks about getting to 9 seconds and forget about actually getting the car to stop once you get there. Or if the car for some reason decides it likes to go on a different direction than the driver intended. You will also need to upgrade your brakes, add a roll cage, and harnesses. No track will allow you on it legally to run once you pass 10seconds. GL

ljk32
85

dont go big block idc what any one says small block is light wieght easy to find and cheap to build you just need chrome dome mahle pistons .560 lift cam and nhra pro raw heads and you want them cnc alimimum then you better stap in tight

ratquick
115

FIND A CHEAP 454 BLOCK,GET A COST EFFECTIVE STROKER KIT.DO YOU WANT A MOUSE OR A RAT? DONT GET ME WRONG MY SECOND FASTEST ENGINE WAS A 292 SBC...I DONT THINK TRYING TO DO ANYTHING UNDER 496 CI IN THIS DAY IS NOT WORHT IT...LIGHTEN IT WAY UP AND STEP IT UP TO 16 VOLTS........

Denis Sagendorf
355

LJK32 HAS A POINT, ENGINE DOESN'T MOVE THE CAR, TRANSMISSION & REAREND DO. SO SMALL BLOCK {327} WITH THE RIGHT GEARING IN TRANS AND REAREND GEARS TOGETHER CAN GET YOU NINE SECONDS. BUT THEY ARE HEAVY, YOU'LL WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT. & BRAKES. GOT TO STOP!!!!!

mac1va
0

After searching awhile for a suitable Chevelle, I ended up with my other favorite car.....a 70 Monte Carlo. It will be getting Dick Miller front and rear suspension components, a 421 Small block chevy with AFR CNC ported heads Callies crank and rods, JE pistons (10.4:1 comp) Turbo 400 with trans brake, Moser 12bolt with 3.90 gears and I plan to hit it with about 250-275 hp nitrous system. The goal is to just get inthe 9s and still be able to drive It on the street. I already own all the parts except the nitrous system so the build commences this week. The car will have a fiberglass 4" cowl hood and light racing seats ac and heat removed but stock bodied other than that. My engine builder (Ace crankshaft in Bayshore, NY) says it should be a problem. What does everyone think?