How do I know if it's my fuel pump or the fuel filter

dayrous
5

Asked by dayrous Aug 08, 2007 at 01:08 PM about the 1993 Toyota Camry

I have dummy written on my forehead.  I'm stuck trying to make sure a mechanic isn't taking advantage of me. I have gotten 3 guestimates as to what's wrong it's just that they all say that if it truly was the fuel pump it should have given me some type of warning. Which it didn't. My son (14yrs old) was sitting in the car with it running while i ran into the store. When i came out the radio & everything was still on, but i could tell the car wasn't actually running. my son said he didn't turn it off. when i tried to start it, it wouldn't start. i checked the battery, starter, & it so happened i had a full tank of gas.. how can i verify that it's my fuel pump?

23,625

You can check for power to the fuel pump, but that will require some disassembly to get at it. It's certainly not a fuel filter as I have never seen one on a modern vehicle get so clogged as to cause a no-start situation. You can attempt to listen when you put the key in the ignition and turn it to the "Drive" position -- the fuel pump relay will energize the pump and it will run for a few seconds to pressurize the system. If you don't hear this, either the fuel pump or the relay is bad. And it's not true that a bad fuel pump would "give you some warning." When they go, they go, and they won't necessarily extend you the courtesy of acting up before they stop working.

mlcharlestonsc
125

I had simular problem took me a week to figure out. Thought the same thing fuel pump pulled line off to relive pressure let it drain hook back up try to crank it up un hook fuel line if line has pressure fuel pump good. Ended up being the ignition coil. This is an internal coil that is located inside the distributer cap. Got the part at Auto Zone fixed it myself. hope this helps and not to late.

papa

to rull out fuelpump take gas cap off put your ear close to opening ,have someone turn key switch on and off 3 or4 times if you hear a buzzing sound not f.p if no sound a bad f.p. also check ecm fuse in fuse box.

Sheptars
610

Did the car start and then shut off?

Sheptars
610

Did the car start and run for a few seconds and then turn off?

Dee Dee Skiba
150

I am having the same problem. I changed the fuel pump twice.My son said that fuel filters don't get clogged.So i would think it would be the fuel pump.

mick_barnes
225

same sort of thing is happening with my car everything was running well no sign that there was anything wrong with the car then when i stopped at a set of traffic lights the car just started to splutter and die and i cant get it restarted for the life of me it's currently sitting on the side of the road near where it died would appreciate any advice on what could be causing this problem thanks

Buddy Rich
50

Hey Mick, it is most likely the fuel pump. The fuel pump will sometimes allow you to be driving and will keep going until the RPMs drop and it starts to idle it will die because the pump wasn't working it was the pressure that was allowing you to keep going but when you stop and start idling it will die because the pump stopped and the pressure died as well. I hope this helped.

ken3434
60

i pulled my fuel filter off and brackish brown fluid came out of the lines and the filter. does this mean i need to replace my filter or should i put it back on and try to start the truck?

Certimafied
40

Your son is wrong fuel filters get clogged. The answer to the other question is yes the fuel should be a clear green/yellow color, the black brown stuff is the trash it has picked up over the years/miles.

ARM5
60

whats happing to me,is that my car starts up every morning, but if i stop for coffee and that takes about five mins, my car won't start. so i have to sit for about three till i could start it up again.

brandimf92
15

my car will only go to 40 then it will die. the RMP will go down then when you step on the gas it wont go past 45

myemle
0

There are two causes that make your car to stall out & die! First ignition system, second fuel related. By taking the guess work out you need to buy or rent a fuel pressure gauge so you can check for fuel pressure and volume and compare it with the spec's of your vehicle(if you replace a bad fuel pump you also need to replace the fuel filter). If your fuel pump pressure and volume is within spec's then you need to trace down what cause your ignition to fail(this could be ignition module, ignition coil, injector pulse,etc.

nogenius
10

One sure easy way to check if it's your fuel pump. Have someone bang on the gas tank pretty hard while your trying to start the car works everytime for me.fuel filters should be change ever so often because there filtering out the junk in the fuel line an build ups can often cause blockage.

Mygreatcar
0

My problem is a fuel gauge which is off most of the time, it shows full tank even when i have half a tank or quarter of a tank. So what is the problem, is it Fuel Pump, Relay, floater or anything else.

nogenius
10

Whats the year make model

nogenius
10

The float has been known to cause this type of issues.but it dont effect the fuel pump.sometimes the float gets filled up with gas.

Mygreatcar
0

It is 95 Camry with fuel gauge problem.