99 audi a4 won't start please help

MM8
15

Asked by MM8 Jan 22, 2011 at 12:36 PM about the 1999 Audi A4

I own a 99 audi a4. I replaced the battery and the car would start and idle for a few seconds then the engine would stall. I had the fuel pump checked and it is working perfectly fine. The mechanic couldn't find the problem and mentioned something about an "immobilizer", is there such a thing? Also the car stereo displays a "safe" sign and wouldn't function i don't have the car manuals anymore which apparently contains the stereo code. Please help. Thanks

Tyler Tulman
35

Your Audi should be equipped with a factory immobilizer.Your ignition key needs to be coded to the immobilizer otherwise your car with start and stall after a few seconds. Your best bet would be to get it to your nearest Audi dealer and tell them you think your key needs to be initialized to the car. As for the radio, unhooking your battery has put it into anti-theft safe mode. The dealer is capable of retrieving your radio code without the manual for a fee and they will give you the code to reactivate it yourself after. I hope this helps you. Good luck.