have a 2000 Forester about 265000miles. Car doesn't start all the time, battery new and mechanic can't diagnosis using all the bells and whistles. Thought it could be key but not

Asked by gbiard Feb 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM about the 2000 Subaru Forester

this may be a computer glitch?

I think you need a new mechanic.

Jeff Smith

When you say it doesn't start all the time, does it turn over, or does the starter just click? Make sure the battery cables themselves are clean and shiny.

Where do you live? Is this an auto or manual? Is the fuel pump priming when the key is turned to ON? Like Jeff said, one good click / nothing / turn over the engine? I'm guessing this is an intermittent ground issue and when it doesn't start it's not doing anything or just the one click.. It's not just about having a shiny connector at the battery and I doubt it would be a mechanical or computer glitch. If the car runs then it shouldn't be the computer per say.. but could be a weak connection somewhere. Corrosion under the insulation at the battery cables can cause resistance. You can check resistance at + battery and main cable + starter. The starter grounds to the engine and then through the cables to the body and back to the battery. Hidden corrosion on the grounds can cause enough resistance to keep your starter from getting the power it needs to turn. I would check on the drivers and passenger side of the engine bay and look for the grounds. You could remove both ends of the wire and clean the body surface and add a dab of grease to the bolt and reinstall. I've seen this happen before. I would recommend a 12v circuit test light and getting in there at the back of the ignition and checking the "ON" and "IGN" circuits. Check the ON when the key is at ON and IGN when at IGN. If the light turns on then the ignition or Key isn't your problem. If it's a manual it could be the clutch switch, which generally I would try to rebuild before replacing. Auto could be the transmission selector switch deal that knows if it's in Park or Neutral, never taken one apart, but these can keep you from getting fuel and/or current to signal the starter. There could be many other scenarios as well. General rule, start cheap or easy and work your way up. Good luck and get back with details so more people help you quicker.

check the cables of course. check the main engin harness plug in Pas. side engine compartment in the area of bel housing

^^ little late. I am interested on what the diagnosis was though..