Check Engine light

JeanTrump
25

Asked by JeanTrump Jul 19, 2007 at 03:12 PM about the 2000 Subaru Forester

My Check Engine light came on, and all the manual says is it involves the "emission control system" and I should take it to a dealer. What problems would cause the Check Engine light to come on? I've already made sure the gas cap clicked when I tightened it, so I don't think that's the problem.

23,665

There are roughly 6,000 pages of code in the engine computer programs of todays cars. That said, some possibilities which are commonly found with check engine lights are: 1. Vacuum hose leak in the evaporative emissions system 2. Oxygen sensor readings out of synch with what they should be. 3. Crank position sensor, cam position sensor, throttle position sensor not working. Have someone scan the codes for you so you can find out exactly what code the system has recorded and narrow your diagnosis down.

JeanTrump
25

Thank you!