catalytic converter cant afford right now (1,300) can I still drive my car?

scrubboat
5

Asked by scrubboat Oct 21, 2013 at 02:18 PM about the 2002 Subaru Outback

check engine light came on and took it to be serviced... cant afford the $1300 right now how bad is this to keep driving the car ? It seems ok.

dscott1
0

yes. its just for emitions. everything will run fine

30,865

If its real bad can cause un do back pressure or even get so hot it glows red. This could cause more damage or even catch fire in worse case . I would not wait to long.

30,865

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question4822.htm --- check this out

You think this is helpful.
scrubboat
5

thank-you all will fix soon!

Jeff Smith
775

It is more than likely the rear O2 sensor rather than the catalytic converter.

Mozzie
25

check the warranty on your emisions system. It's longer than the rest of the car.

Nick Eidemiller
1,915

the warranty means nothing if you're not the orrigional owner, also look into other brands of catalytic converters, they'll cost less than at a dealer. I got my foreward cat through Borla, it's a direct fit cat (just bolts in) took 30 mins to do on my Subaru and cost $450 instead of $600, also you could have a universal cat put in for the secondary cat that would do just fine and they're about $200. The reason the front is so much is your're replacing more than just the cat, you're replacing the exhaust manifold to because it's all one piece.