shift problem on 93 bonniville

dutchstar
0

Asked by dutchstar Jun 18, 2010 at 09:50 AM about the 1993 Pontiac Bonneville

on a recent trip my service soon light came on - then noticed that my transmission was shifting late - the trans shop said many things -  so i changed fluid and filter - vac mogulator - tps sensor -   not much helped - i then noticed a wire plug coming out of the trans ( about 3 inchs above the vac seroind ) it is not a tight fit -   move slightly left or right - when i move it  trnas will shift correctly .up until engine is turned off and then started again -   does that plug burn out ? what is it plugging into ? any suggestions would be great - thanks

Dannel Marie
5

in an older vehicle like that & if you have over 100k on it. changing the fluid and filter will just cause more problems. i have a 01 bonneville and work with cars all day. not a smart idea. thats about all i can help you with.

Danny Wang
2,435

a plug rarely burns out but if a vehicle had been subjected to enough vibrations, bumps over time it could be possible that a connection can become loose. It is usually plugged to the transmission which controls the shift solenoids and Torque Converter Clutch, etc.

Danny Wang
2,435

I forgot to mention that a tight connector fit would help if not solve your shifting problem and prevent intermittent problems.

Jason Zane
3,325

change the vaccuum modulator too along with the rubber hose leading from throttle body to xmission. the diaphragm tends to get blown after brisk launches.

Jason Zane
3,325

also.. my shifter wire did go bad after 19 years. it has a plastic fastener that was gone. it would slip out of gear. i got stuck in reverse and i had to move it by hand, re-attach , if it slipped off the joint.

Jim Morrison
125

changing the oil and filter is in NO WAY,,detrimental. All it will do is extend the life of the transmission!