how to check and add trans fluid to my 2003 grand am

Asked by mhample1 Sep 20, 2013 at 03:55 PM about the 2003 Pontiac Grand Am

i had a leak on the tranny cooler line so i changed the line. i dont know how much leaked out

do you know where the dipstick is? must get a special transmission funnel to fill it (about 1.29) did you plan on checking the level...must be checked warm in park with the engine running...between the cold and hot hash the knurled zone~

was it the butyl rubber connection to the radiator...yah them are cheap~...just get it out of the factory, NOT silicone which has a near infinite life~

If you car's trans is the 4T45E trans then there will be no dipstick, there is a *fill plug* located on the converter housing. The *level* plug is at the back of the trans down near the end of the tailshaft next to the passenger side axleshaft. Pull out the level plug and look to see if there is any sign of fluid at the bottom of the port. If not, add fluid thru the port on the top of the converter housing until fluid begins to seep out the level plug port.

Jim Rhenow

The book says that the transmission is filled for life and requires no service at all. If the transmission ever leaks or starts to shift funny, the dealer is to replace the transmission. This doesn't help anyone who is out of the warranty. After 180,000 miles mine was shifting hard and now is shifting very slow. I am sure it just needs some fluid. The red fill knob on the top of the Converter housing is hidden so you have to take out the battery and the Air cleaner housing. A local garage refused to work on it because he can't find out how much fluid to put in after a filter change. His answer is that you measure how much you took out and put that amount back in. GM says you don't need to ever change the filter or add fluid.

Jeanne An Ken Marvin

I changed to filter and fluid in my 2004 grandma. once you replace to filter it is 7.5 quarts of fluid what I did was put 7 quarts in then pulled the full plug on the back of transmission and added .05 quarts until it started coming out the plug. let the over flow drain once it stops flowing then replace the plug it is full . the fill cap is under the throttle hose to the air breather I used a funnel with a flex end on it and had no problems replacing the fluid Hope this helps

Jim Rhenow

I am assuming that you have access to a lift. It is near impossible for me to get to the level plug under the car. I put in 1.5 quarts of fluid, put it back together and drove around the block. It was better but not perfect. I took it apart again and added another quart, put it back together and drove it and it's almost perfect. The 1 to 2 shift is still a little slow, so I think I'll put in another pint tomorrow. I know you are not supposed to overfill because the fluid will "aerate". I will take it to my local garage and have him check the full plug. Thanks for the help.