Car has rough idle, big loss of power, black smoke from exhaust, smokey smell of flooding

Paully
0

Asked by Paully Jun 09, 2012 at 06:59 PM about the 2005 Pontiac Sunfire

Parked my 2005 Sunfire last night and everything was fine. Started car this morning and it is like the engine has
no power, and the idle is not smooth and responsive. It is like the car is flooding out and is getting too much
gas to burn in engine. I get a trouble code of 0300 which indicates an engine misfire. The car does not backfire
and the engine runs evenly but sort of idles weakly. When I try to drive the car it has no power and won't
accelerate hardly at all. I replaced the oxygen sensor, and installed new spark plugs. Two of the plugs were
fairly black. It seems to me like the air/fuel mixture is way to rich. I there a sensor or something that controls the
air/fuel mixture and if so is there a way that I could check to see if it is functioning properly. Thanks.

Andrew Peerenboom
235

You are correct, black smoke means a lean mixture. The miss fire code solidifies this diagnostic. Most common cause: Clogged air filter. Check it first. If the filter is good, second step is MAF sensor and throttle position sensor. The fuel injector sensor is the next step. If after all that, it's still a problem, the fuel injection system itself could be bad. I.E bad injectors.

aztec626bf
6,955

Black smoke usually indicates a rich mixture.

Jason Zane
3,135

next.. check your sparkplug wires and ignition coil & module. one or two cylinders are not firing.

Eric Anthony
80

maybe yell at your gf for switching the 2 plug wires around ;) lol j/k. I'd start with checking the air filter...then make sure all your vacuum hoses are connected but, it sounds like ur exhaust converter is plugged...or maybe the ole' bananna in the tailpipe trick....run the car at night and see if the converter has a red glow..if so...converters plugged. I may joke around alot...but, I been working on cars for over 25 years

rowsell
20

i changed the converter and new plugs new wiers new coil and now power and getting to much gas ,and the converter is red what wiill do next lit me know

Jason Zane
3,135

maybe your injector is stuck open.. have u seen which cylinder haws the fuel on the sparkplug?