2006 Pontiac grand prix question

cricket1486
0

Asked by cricket1486 May 30, 2008 at 11:55 AM about the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

I have a 2006 Pontiac Grad Prix and latley as I am driving the car just shuts off. It don't give me any warning or anything and after it shuts off no check engine or lights like that are on. It will start up just fine after that, but the car dealer I took it too said they cant see the problem. Does anybody have any ideas???

Thanks,

Danny Wang
3,175

Unfortunately for intermitent problems a technician would require more diagnostic time in order to reproduce the symptom. My first guess would be where wire connections are not clean and tight. For instance, check to make sure ground connections are clean and tight. It may not be the problem, but common. You could also have sensors/actuators that are probably going bad (could be defective components). This is where having a scan tool or a repair shop with scan tool that not only pull trouble codes, but can read values from sensor while driving the car. If you know when it occurs say, cold startup and after engine reaches normal operating temperatures does the engine stall. I would say the more information you have, as to if there are specific conditions when the engine would stall, the easier it is for technician to diagnose the problem. Hopefully this is a good starting point to help find specifically where the source of problem is occuing.

Craig Gavanditti
65

There is a few possibilities. You could have the Crank Position Sensor going out which would be the worst of it. Cheap part but labor may cost a lot. I was having the same problem and I noticed my coil packs had rust on them where the spark plug wires connect. I cleaned them last Saturday and haven't had a problem since. Be sure to check your fuel and spark system. For it to just shut off your losing one of those. Most likely its the spark.

Nathaniel Winkel
0

The same thing happened on my 98 grand prix, it was just a loose ground wire from the battery.

Easygoin
10

This happened to me. It was the Evap sensor located on the intake. No problems now. Inexpensive and easy to replace. No more shut offs.

Mh Owais
20

I got the same car pontiac grand prix 2006 model.... I have some issues with this cars nowadays.... its regular light which is automatic, goes off after 3 or 4 minutes while driving on the road.. the bottom light works and high beem works too... another problem which she has started to give me is that its temperature goes high almost to red line... two weeks ago I flushed its radiator as well as put new coolant fluid into it even though its temperature started to go up again... is there anything you know about it???