where is the thermostat located on a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme?

DeannaJ1965
0

Asked by DeannaJ1965 Feb 16, 2014 at 08:08 PM about the 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

was told the thermostat is stuck open and it's not letting the fans kick on or the light that says it is over heating come on the low coolant light don't come on either, engine is a 3.1. four door it don't say anymore that cutlass supreme so don't know what to select on the trim?

13,165

Follow the top hose from the radiator to the engine. Where this hose clamps on the engine is the thermostat housing. There's 2 bolts that hold it on. Remove them, with the engine cold, and you'll see the thermostat. Pull the thermostat straight up and out. Remove any old gasket material. Install your new 195°F thermostat, pointy end up, then put some gasket sealer on the new gasket. Place the new gasket on then bolt the thermostat housing back on. The bolts should be tight but not super tight. Remove the radiator cap and start the engine. Top off the radiator and bleed any air out of the system. Fill the plastic recovery tank about half way. Once the engine is fully warmed up put the radiator cap back on and you'll be all set. HTH. -Jim