96 olds has an acceleration dead spot sometimes

pork
0

Asked by pork Jun 12, 2008 at 11:53 AM about the 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I have a 96 Olds Cutlass Supreme with a 3.1 engine once in a while when I start it, usually in the morming and try to accelerate nothing happens.  Then all of a sudden it takes off.  It has a new fuel pump and filter.  Any ideas whats wrong?  It only happen once when I first start and go, from then on no problems.

Greyson Faile
10

try your tps (throttle position sensor). if memory serves, its pretty cheap.

Josh McDonald
35

More than likely spark plug wires. If its not that check the injectors.

Mitch Thompson
85

When you start up your engine, its a very good idea to let it sit for a minute or two. That way, you let the oil circulate through the engine and lubricate all the parts. It will make your engine last a lot longer. As for the hesitation, I would suggest checking the plug-in connections on your Throttle Position Sensor, Mass Air Flow Sensor, and Idle Air Control Motor. A more likely source of the problem may be your ignition. Your spark plugs would be the first thing to look at. If you have hesitation issues, a coil pack may be something to consider. However, bad coil packs typically mean more problems than just hesitation problems. For example, the engine may shake a bit with a bad coil pack because the engine is not getting the spark it needs to keep running well. Anyway, check your plugs. If they are bad, replace them and your spark plug wires too. If not that, look at the sensors I mentioned earlier.

You think this is helpful.
Cheeseburger
20

When my oldsmobile is in park the engine is reving horribly. Where are the TPS located?

Dave Stahl
5

Check your vaccum lines too, I have a 95 Cutlass Ciera and when they are disconnected or cracked it runs even shittier

mastermechanic
30

Check for a vacuum leak. Check all your vacuum lines for cracks, and do a leak test. Check the 24x crank sensor for a 0 to 10 volt dc signal. You must turn the crank by hand.