1996 olds ciera w/3.1 dies when I let of the breaks.

mark28269
5

Asked by mark28269 Jul 13, 2009 at 11:01 AM about the 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

It starts fine, runs fine but when I slide lever to drive and let off the breaks it bucks and dies. As long as I have the breaks on its fine.  I replaced the throttle position sensor with no improvement.  Engine trouble codes are p1406, p0306, p0401, p0441. What could be the problem? Please help

Dave Stahl
5

I recently had a similar problem with my 95. I would start it and it would be fine for a minute, then the check engine light would come one and run rough then eventually die. I ran the codes that I was pulling and it was my camshaft sensor that was causing it to die, this is a common error in these cars. It may also be the crank sensor aswell. I do know these cars have problems running because of a failing EGR system along with a torque converter lock up that occurs in the transmission. I would take it to an automotive diagnotic place and see what comes up. Too many problems with these cars.