what should the temperture gauge read for normal temp

firedoginstaller
25

Asked by firedoginstaller Jun 21, 2008 at 04:32 PM about the 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora

right now my car temperture gauge is staying at the next line up from the middle line i change my thermostat and flushed my raiotor and replaced all my hoses it only overheated one time but thats when i took it on the highway i was going about 135mph when my lower radiotor hose pushed off

Adam Morgan
3,605

What did it sit at before you blew the hose off? That's not incredibly high so that may be within normal... Hopefully someone who's owned one can say for sure Or you may have some air trapped in the system...Let it idle with the radiator cap off for awhile to let the system work some of the air out... If you blew the bottom hose of I guarantee you pulled air in, question is did you get it all out. Other than that, don't be an idiot track passes are fairly cheap, and you don't have to worry about shearing a wheel off on a pothole.

Michael Urbanski
165

First gen. Aurora's are great cars. The temperature reading sounds normal. As those cars get older they do start to run hotter than new, particularly when idling the temp. will shot up rapidly. But Adam Morgan is right, you probably had air in the system, like with brake lines, you need to purge the system anytime you flush, have a significant leak, or add a considerable amount of coolant/water to the system.

Mitch Thompson
65

Depending on the degree of the thermostat you have, that rating of it is the designed temperature for you engine to run at. For example, an engine with a 195 degree thermostat is designed to run at about that temperature.

Josh Farley
155

its at the normal temp it should stay about 200 unless idleing then it would go up to about 235 before the fans kick on to cool it down. belive me i drive one every day. also apart of the aurora club or north america (acna) you should come check it out.

amanda32780
70

my car runs at the line above the 200 is that normal ???

Laromeg
0

My is my 2001 Aurora running hot new thermostat new bottom hose on lower radiator but fans don't come on