My passenger side power window won't work, all of a sudden. Any ideas?

Jon Lucas
70

Asked by Jan 29, 2013 at 10:33 PM about the 1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette

My wife tried to roll it up from the driver's side, but it would only power down. Never had a problem with that window before, but there have been other strange electrical problems. Lights, alarm, one door lock working intermittently. I tried unplugging and examining the switches and connections to the window motor, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, looking for blown fuses and manually pushing the window back up. No luck. Of course, its going to thunderstorm like crazy tonight.

77,645

That is strange. It's probably something with the switch. The same wires and motor that roll the window down are used to roll it back up. They just switch the polarity to the motor. To get the window up before the rain starts, try jumpering the wires at the switch connector. The only other possibility I can think of is that the window has come off the track.

Jon Lucas
70

not off the track. The thing is, she rolled it down from her side, but couldn't get it back up. The switch on my side behaved the same way. It would go down, but not up. Couldn't be both switches. I'm thinking it must be at the motor.

77,645

It's the same motor for up and down. Maybe somethings hanging up if it has gears.

judge_roy

these switches are cheapy and self-destruct easily with only bent sheetmetal pins holding them together. Brutilze once, (like stompin' on it with a drunken foot) and will not do what it's told anymore. Replace the switch!

Jon Lucas
70

But both switches? They both do the same thing. Down but not up. We both rolled it down a little at a time but neither switch could roll it up. No sound or attempt of the motor to operate back up. I've had this van for 6 months and it has some weird electrical issues. I think I have a bad ground or failing voltage regulator or something.

judge_roy

the wiring diagram will show that contradictory instructions do nothing. Switch is partially disassembled yielding unsatisfactory performance.

Best Answer
Jon Lucas
70

Well, looks like you guys were right. I pulled the switch out and when I connected the driver's side switch to the passenger's side connector I was able to raise the window. The drivers side switch can normally control both windows . When I moved it to the other side, I had to toggle both buttons up in order to engage the window motor. I'll start checking junk yards tomorrow to see if I can find a new switch to put in.

judge_roy

or take a channel locks and squeeze it back together, say a little prayer and put it back together.

Bluezero
40

If I put my windows down I have to drive and hit potholes and it goes up a little after every bump.

judge_roy

contacts are touchy, either replace that switch or attempt further surgery on the switch...sound like contact is making too easily...guess you could get in there and bend the contacts further away...a little....goodluck!

77,645

BlueZero - if that is a problem, start a new thread. Piggy backing on a month old thread doesn't work as well.

kenspencer
270

my windows don't work neither up or down and i have to lock each door individually. what should i do please help ???!

kenspencer
270

my passenger and driver side windows don't work at all (up or down). the locks also don't work right i have to lock each individually.

xokah
240

Check the child-lock switch.

xokah
240

(regarding passengerside windows malfunction)

Matthew Garcia
0

So what exactly was the problem my durango passenger window goes down but not back up and driver dr and passenger dr switches for that window do the same down and no going up

Pastortimtom
0

I have a 1998 olds silhouette, had problem,drivers window goes down not up. Passenger window works fine. I moved both child safety locks on both sliding side doors. Went to use switch on drivers door mad a noise I tapped the panel drivers side window went up.