I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue with a random no start problem.

phantom440
120

Asked by phantom440 Nov 23, 2013 at 12:53 AM about the 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue

I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue with a random no start problem. It's a no crank no
start issue and the security light is not blinking. Randomly it will not start and if i just
wait a period of time (15min, 30min 1hr) I can put the key back in and it'll start. After
starting the car would be good for 1.5 weeks then it would happen all over again. The
battery was tested and is good, it's all grounded correctly, altenator is good, starter
tested and good. There is a remote starter that was installed (not by the dealer) before
I required the car around the time the car was purchased.

I replaced the ignition switch and that solved the problem for ~1.5 month, but then it
started acting up again. So I unbolted the ignition switch and having it lose which
worked again for 2-3days then it didn't start, so I removed the new ignition switch and
got it refunded for a new one (Autozone). When I replaced the ignition switch it failed to
work, so I put in the original ignition switch and valah it worked (Weird…). However,
this only worked for again 2-3 days then to fix it this time I only removed and re-
inserted the lock cylinder (which I did twice) and now it has been working for about a
week now with no issues…for now.

SO, what is failing/going on?

Sorry for the novel, but felt the more info the better. Finally, nothing was done to the
care before this issue presented it just…."happened".

7jimmy7
14,645

the starter brushes may be down to nubs,or one sticking! next time bang on the starter with a bar or something, if that cures the no turn over, replace it,

phantom440
120

Well, I had already pulled off the starter and had it checked before and we didn't see an issue while testing it. I appreciate your suggestion/help, but what if the starter is NOT the issue…what else do you think it may be?

DanaAnn
40

my daughter is having what sounds like the same problem with her intrigue. Will work fine for a week maybe even a month then out the blue won't start. She leaves for a few hours goes back and it starts first try. Have you had any luck figuring out what's going on with yours.We were told by two different garage they couldn't tell anything about it if it wasn't doing it while they had it in the garage. Any info would be appreciated.

phantom440
120

I never did find out what was the issue. However, I found a solution that seems to be working anytime I encounter a no start. I simply put the key in and continually try to start it, moving the key from the "on" > "start" until it starts again, sometimes this is ~15 times or even higher. The highest I have gone is ~32 times. I suspect in my issue it's the computer and Passlock having issues. I've only had to do this 3-4 times since I posted my question. I feel that I've "re-programmed" it…if that's even possible because I haven't had to do this for over 1.5 months. So yeah, Just keep cranking until it comes on…I just went from the "on" > "start" somewhat quickly until it started.

DanaAnn
40

Thank you. I'll let her know.

Shannon Knight
40

It might be the crankshaft position sensor. I was having the same issue and once I replaced it my car was back up and running

phantom440
120

Okay, thanks for letting me know! I just had my car do what I was saying it did in my initial post. However, I was unable to get it to start using the technique I used in my previous response to "DanaAnn" I ended up replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor and It started right up… Hopefully it fixes my "issue" like it did for you!

waynemiller
10

I just fixed my little brothers car with the 3.5 lt twin cam Cadillac engine and let me tell you the transmissions are a bitch to rebuild but he had the same issue and it seems to be a loose connection on the wires in the steering column

Michael Lederer
0

Phantom440s method worked for me. What I did was turn the key to ACC, then On, THEN start, and it worked. I guess turning it one setting at a time worked

phantom440
120

So after a while the ACC,ON, then start no longer worked, BUT I did find a workaround last fall that seems to have fixed the issue for me. The main issue for me was a short in the ground. I used a multimeter to test all the relays, fuses, "ignition wire", all my grounds to the car body (cleaned them), I checked my PCM, checked the neutral safety switch, cleaned all the contacts and a few other things. No go. SO, I figured out that neutral wire/ground was bad. I discovered that when I used one color of my jumper cables (like an "extended wire") to connect from my starter back to my negative terminal (black) on my battery, my car started right away. When I removed the jumper cable, it did not start. Thus, I bought a 4 gauge battery cable and grounded it from one of the starter bolts to an existing grounded bolt/site. This fixed my problem for ~1month. After that my starter failed (funky relay in my solenoid) I bought another (from a junkyard), replaced it..but it did not work. Then I bought an extended 4 gauge battery cable and ran it from my negative battery terminal all the way down to one of those 2 bolts that holds the starter in and ever since it starts.... every. single. time. Almost coming up on a year now and still starts. Conclusion: I recommend looking at a cracked or bad ground. If it needs cleaning, clean the contact spots. if not applicable, (Using same color) try clipping one side of the jumper cable onto the starter and running the other side to the negative terminal and see if that works for you. If so, just buy a long 4 gauge wire and run it like I did (Negative terminal to one of the starter bolts) and secure it with zip ties. Cheers! p.s. I know this may not apply to everyone's situation, but I definitely wished someone would have told a non-car guru like myself about a simple trick of hooking of the jumper cables like I mentioned above. This would have saved me a lot of time.