Radiator Leak

Asked by dbailey Aug 06, 2011 at 08:27 PM about the 2000 Oldsmobile Alero

Well I'm befuddled!  My 2000 Alero 3.4 with 200,000+ on her sprung a leak. I could have sworn it was the water pump laying down and just went ahead and changed it. NOT!  After a closer examination, it looks like it is dripping off of the block between the crank pulley and the a/c pulley but closer to the a/c pulley. And it leaks pretty bad. Yesterday I pull up in the driveway and quite a bit leaked out. Just filled the reservoir back up after the pump change and it started dripping out almost immediately. Anybody ever experience anything like this in this area before? Can't imagine where it is coming from. Any ideas/experience sharing will be greatly appreciated gents. Thanks.

Found the leak. There is a gasket that runs around the gizzmo bracket that the alternator, power steering pump and other things mount to going around the timing chain cover that leaked. Have heard of others that have had a leak there, too. Gotta take half of the side of the engine off to gain access to the gasket down around the timing chain but you gotta do what you gotta do when it leaks.

Mark Smith

I am having the same problem I think. I wish I could figure out from your description were the leak was. Around the gizzmo bracket isn't much help.

Fixed leak quite a long time ago. There is a large mounting bracket/housing type thing that bolts to the side of the engine that all of the stuff I mentioned bolts to. Part of that covers the timing chain and there is a gasket or o-ring that goes around that part right around the timing chain and it had blown out and THAT is where the leak was. Heard others that have that same leak. Hope that helps. I had to hire somone to do mine since i didn't have the time nor expertise to do it myself. Probably could have figured it out with a manual or something but didn't.

Mark Smith

thanks dbaily!