Timing Belt

505tiger
0

Asked by 505tiger Apr 26, 2012 at 12:36 AM about the 1999 Nissan Pathfinder

Hi !! Please tell me what would happen if the Timing Belt should break when Engine is running ?? Would there be any Engine damage ??   Thank you and Cheers    HANS SINGER

Dwayne Venton
225

valves will hit pistons and extensive engine damage will result

Best Answer
Wolf_359
295

Extensive engine damage is a nice way of saying that the motor would destroy itself. Replace the timing belt, water pump, and thermostat every 60,000 miles. A $1000 timing belt job every few years is a lot cheaper than a $5000 replacement engine. With regular maintenance, your Pathfinder will have a happy motor for many years. My dearly departed 1995 Pathfinder SE, with regular maintenance, got from 54,000 to 187,000 miles, and ten years, before the frame rotted out. But to the bitter end, the motor and transmission were as tight as the day they were new. Used zero oil between changes. Way back in the early 1990s, for a second car, I bought a 1980 Subaru 4x4 wagon with 209,000 miles. (What?! Were you crazy? Well, it cost only $900.) An oil change every 3000 miles got the car to 248,000 before the transaxle wore out. I replaced my 1995 with a 1999 SE 3.3, and I couldn't be happier. Enjoy the heck out of your Pathfinder.

505tiger
0

HI !! Thank you very much for your answer it,s very helpful , My Engine got 113.000 Km on the Engine . I for sure will get the Timing Belt replaced immediately .Thank,s again and Cheers HANS SINGER

jverde
10

As previously posted, a broken timing belt equals major engine rebuild (if you're lucky, it will ONLY be a few bent valves - but a broken piston or two is a strong likelihood) FYI -- since the '96 model, Nissan specifies 105,000 miles between timing belt changes (altered cam & crank gears provide longer belt life). And in the Pathfinder forums, even 105k is considered conservative. Belts changed at 130k+ have shown no signs of wear.

Steva_
185

Timing belt kit and water pump price is negligeble compared to serious damages to the engine Hans Singer you wont sing any hapy tunes if you dont replace above mentioned parts. Cheers too and good luck.