My 02 nissan altima has a blown head gasket. Should I get it fixed or just cut my losses and look for another car?

Adam Scofield
25

Asked by Adam Mar 18, 2010 at 12:01 AM about the 2002 Nissan Altima

Joseph Rota
325

How many miles (or km's) does it have on it?, do you drive it really hard (as in drive it like you stole it)? And is it standard transmission? The thing is that if it has low miles for the year, but still drive it hard, then replace the head gasket. Chances are you'll get a couple years more out of it. If you drive it like a grandma and it's a manual trans car, but the miles (or km's) aren't that bad. Then replace the gasket. If the km's are high (like near 300,000km) but you live in an area that doesn't get snow and you drive it like a grandma (& if it is standard). Replace the gasket. If you live in Canada or somewhere else that gets snow & the miles are high (200,000 miles) & you drive it hard. Well that means your car has had a hard life and time to get another car. My family has owned a Nissan before and I've worked on other Nissan cars and driven one. I once worked on a Nissan that was being turned into a derby car that had 334,657km on it before being taken off the road, so i know how well they last to driving & other abuse.

A Facebook user
35

get another car

Carl Nikle
75

hey man its a relativly new car if you can do the work urself that would be the cheapest way but it you have a shop do it you should only pay around $800 at the most man. dont go to a dealer thats how you get into ahole lot of trouble and out o money

Danny Wang
2,795

another thing to add is that if it is a high mileage say 200,000 miles as an example given, even if the head gasket is replaced, more than likely chances of other engine parts going bad or about to is very likely.