Flat tow a 4X4

ddw
0

Asked by ddw Mar 15, 2012 at 03:32 PM about the 2004 Nissan Pathfinder

I have a 2004 pathfinder 4X4 with a 5 speed manual trany. Can I flat tow this unit behind my motor home? What
considerations are there if I do this? Where can I get an owners manual for this unit? Thanks...ddw

biggdog462001
285

i have not owned a pathfinder , i have been a wrench for a long time, with a manual transmission in neutral you will still be spining gears in transfercase and transmission , and i think that you will still throw enough oil around to oil all bearings that would still be spinning as you were going down road . get manual at dealer it makes things simpler.

Richard Schroer
2,625

any nissan dealer will be able to get you a manual. make sure you put on the parking brake while moving it to neutral, and my guess is you will need to put the transfer case in neutral as well. definitely get the manual- look under "dinghy towing (as opposed to dolly towing- 2 wheels off the ground- you do NOT want to dolly tow this rig)

whispers8021
0

i dont understand!!! I was going to dolly tow my 1998 manual 5 speed 4x4 Pathfinder until someone turned me onto a tow bar(dinghy towing) and after looking up a few things on this now I am VERY VERY VERY concerned as to whether or not I can even tow my suv dinghy or dolly? I dont understand what the deal is. I shift it to neutral I drive my rv down the road towing my suv. Some websites say this is fine, others say you need to disconnect the drive shaft, some tell me i need to put the transfer case in neutral, others say never ever never ever tow a 4x4, others tell me to plastic wraps something to ensure I dont bust my steering. I honestly dont understand what the problem is to just put my vehicle in neutral and tow it down the road. O lubricants dont get up into the gears??? Ok does it go up into the gears if I turn the engine on and then shift into neutral while towing? How hard is it to put the transfer case into neutral?