changed clutch assembly and wont start now

ba361
0

Asked by ba361 Mar 17, 2013 at 02:47 AM about the 1991 Ford Festiva

i have a 91' ford festiva that recently changed the clutch assembly but after everything got put back
together a ground wire was placed on the starter and then started to smoke and dont start now

DavidH25

Did you have the flywheel off to be surfaced or put a new one on? Somewhere, somehow, you got a hot wire where it should not be, that is if I understand your question. The stater is grounded to the block, does not have a ground wire, only the big 4gauge or whatever it is cable that is hot only while starting. Find out what wire is wrong, the check your main engine fuse, probably a 60 amp. in the box under hood

49,895

It sounds as if someone placed a ground wire on the starter and that would be a direct short across the battery. It shouldn't blow any fuses but it could destroy the battery and the battery cables.

DavidH25

Only reason I said what I did is 'cause he said now it won't start.

grandpa1Clyde
125

If the fuses are ok and the hot wire now placed on the proper lug and secured on the starter, the smoking you saw may have been the result of your battery being 'fried', and quite possibly with NO outward indication on the battery itself. Hopefully you've had it checked (a small battery tester is pretty cheap, or MOST auto parts stores will check your battery for free), and the wires are all back in their proper place, in the order in which they were removed, secured by tightening the starter solenoid nuts with the wires behind them, and you're enjoying your Festiva's gas mileage and other benefits once again. Can you update this post, please, and let us ALL know what exactly WAS the issue and how you resolved it?? Thank you and have a great life!