car problems: engine died and so the the power steering... any suggestions on what could have went....

Ashley Eveland
0

Asked by Ashley Apr 08, 2009 at 02:03 AM about the 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse

I was driving and then all of sudden the motor shut off and died and then the power steering went.  Got it towed to the house and it was flooded.  Can't get it started now.  Fuel pump and starter are fine. I checked the spark plugs and they are okay except that they were drenched with gas.  It just cranks over and over, time after time.  I haven't checked to see if any belts have broken yet.  I know one has been squeaking lately though, especially after I wash it the car. It's 99 automatic no turbo everything stock.  Hopefully someone's got some kinda idea.  Let me know! Thanks a bunch!

John Meyer
25

it could be your belt or it could be your coil pack went. your car wont have power steering if the engine dies

Ross Cataldo
5

How many miles are on the car? We with this we know your timing belt isn't gone, check and do a coil test, the DSM way, take a screw driver and stick that sucker in the spark plug socket and move it close to metal which in case never ends well or get a tester,

99eclipse
10

hey disconnect your battery and try starting it if it runs for a little while you have a bad cam senor i had one on my 99 spyder .. but try disconnecting the battery for a a minute or two and try starting it if it runs its a bad cam senor and will it you say it died can you start it and it just revs up and then dies?

Tyler Iannazzo
25

1. the idiot above, this car is not a dsm, this is a chrysler, dsm are the turbo model only including 1gs. 3g's are not dsm! 2. Your altenator belt could have snapped, causing your battery to die, your car to over hear and no power steering. 3. If this is not it, double check AIR FUEL AND SPARK. 4. depending on when your timing belt was done last it could have slipped. 5. you could have a crank angle sensor could be bad. keep us poster!

Ross Cataldo
5

BAHAHA I had to laugh at the idiot above, from the years 90-99 are DSMs, Diamond Star Motors, they produced the Plymouth Laser, FWD and AWD, Mitsubishi Eclipse, FWD nt: FWD t: AWD t, and Eagle Talons, FWD nt: FWD t, AWD t. You make me laugh.

Tyler Iannazzo
25

If you want to get technicall with it 1gs are true dsms...with the 6 bolts. also 2gs are also concider dsms but they are not full dsm. and also i ment to put 1g's and 2gs.

Simon Mok
35

Solution: Get rid of the bloody thing and pick yourself a R3X Skyline.....lol

gpopppa
0

Lol ross,yes to the idiot above him.Before you flap YOUR gums about 2g eclipses/talon NOT being dsm's,do some searching.Google helps.Up until i think 96,they are true dsm's.with that out of the way.ur both right. want to be real technical,95 is considered the last year for the dsm.up until mid year 95,its on the door tag when it was manufactured.but all 2g's can be considered dsm.up until oct 95. now 2gA/b..97-99 95-96.diffrent bumpers,color matched door handles.blah blah blah.and galaxie,not to keep starting crap.6bolts and 7bolts were in 1gs.right? i.e. turbos.i might be wrong so correct me if i am.that damn crankwalk sucks. Anyway ashley,i hope you got that car rolling again.And simon, only in our dreams :)

Cory Riegel
15

hey my car did the same the tentioner pully went out on the timeing belt

Derek Platt
105

it can be a number of things start from square one check to see if the engine has spark or fuel, if one of them is missing go from there, could be a timing belt, coil pack, crankshaft or camshaft sensor, its hard to say see what its not getting, probely spark and go from there.

Derek Platt
105

hey guys he is askin for help as to why his car is not running not what type of engine or computer syetem he has.

Derek Platt
105

disconnect your battery and try starting it????????? hello the battery is what helps start it.

Mark Pitis
35

Idler pulley

hpdieseltech
10

idler pully and tensioner pulley, cam position sener fuel filter fuel pump coil pack but probly the pulleys cause mine went out and jumped out of time wouldnt run or start until replaced pulleys i went ahead and replace all the other things to just to make sure it stays running

sitro42013
30

the 1g 1.8l sohc was a 4g37 engine and was 5 bolt. the others are in fact 6 bolt and have 4g63 engine. 2g eclipse rs and gs had the chrysler 420a 2.0 DOHc engine yet the gs spyder had the 4g63 engine but did not come turbocharged. only the gst, gst-spyder, and gsx had the 4g63 turbocharged engine. and those were the last models for that engine that came turbocharged. and the gsx was the last to have AWD mitsubishi no longer put stock turbos or had any newer AWD cars

ErynJean
25

Having the same exact problem with my 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. They are trying to say the motor is blown but I am having a hard time believing that. The last time this happened about a year ago it was caused by my timing belt breaking. Did you ever find out what was wrong with your car?

dsmspyder
0

You fools are sadly mistaken. In order to define DSM you have to know the DSM was simply a partnership between two companies. They researched everything for the 1g and 2g. 6 bolt 7 bolt. 420a 4g63. it doesn't matter. Since its a partnership, they shared the platform to use both motors. Yes the partnership lasted until 95 and 95.5 and ups are called mmma's. They are still designed from DSM and no changes to chassis or motor has changed. That would require one company to do the research on the vehical. That never happened. Simply the name of DSM changed to MMMA. The only reason Mitsu got involved is to have access to the plant on us grounds in Normal Ill. Mitsu had all this research done in the evo 1-3 that share the same motor and awd platform. That is where the 1g and 2g gsx's gst's came from. Evo 1-3 and evo 8 all share the 4g63, as well as Galant GVR-4's, Starion, Colts, select Mirage's, conquests and mighty max. They all have the 4g63 option. From the factory. And Mitsu dose still make Evo's right??? They are awd and Turbo'd. I know this is from 2009, but damn there is so much misinformation here. OP, I hope that car has been fixed by now