Marquis Jerking/Heating and then runs fine until it happens again

RedLight
35

Asked by RedLight Apr 07, 2011 at 09:09 AM about the 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis

Driving down normally and suddenly the car jerks and looks like shuts down and 2 seconds later is back running normal.
its scary if it happens on the highway!
When this happens, Check Engine, TEMP light and LOW FUEL lights are on!
At this point the car is overheating and I also notice small variations in oil pressure.
So, I stop to cool down and then 5 minutes later back on the road and working fine.
Sometimes I keep driving or cruising in neutral and the car cools down and I continue driving until it happens again...it heats up and then cools down.

The problem used to start only if the car was floored but now Its getting worst and happens anytime.

Took it to a mechanic and he flushed the coolant + changed the temp valve. Took the car for a test and floored it and it worked fine! no hesitation..nada! :D

2 days later, I have the same problem except its WORST! :(

Please help.

RedLight
35

SOME MORE INFO: After the Mechanic fixed, I had check engine light flashing the next day and the day after the check engine light is on. Check engline light goes off sometimes and comes back and sometimes flashing. Another important point, the problem would start when car was floored and also if it goes over bumps! but now it starts whenever irrespectively.

papa

ok sounds like your fuel filter is stoped up.it could be a sticking thermostat,blown head gasket,check oil on dip stick see if it is milkey looking,if so head gasket,if not replace thermostat,temp sensor would not cause this.also the water pump could be going bad.another thing to do is have a pressure test done on colling system,the radiator,has plastic tanks on both sides one may be cracked loosing collent while driveing,the pressure test will show a leak good luck,let me know how it goes.

Christina Kinley
45

I had a similar problem with my last vehicle, a 94 Dodge Caravan. I could be scootin down the road..doing fine. Then out of the blue,it started sputtering and acting like it was gonna run out of gas. I decided it had something to do with my fuel system, more specifically, the feul pump. Well, I took it to 3 shops, trying to get a consistant report. The results were unanimous. I had a "weak" fuel pump. It turns out the pump was getting too hot, causing the fuel system to shut down. Scary. Anyway, a fuel pump, an external fuel filter and problem solved..Hope this helps..