2005 mercury sable will crank,but will not drive. could this be a simple sensor or the transmission its self

Asked by dhensley78 Jan 30, 2012 at 04:20 PM about the 2005 Mercury Sable

car felt like it was running on sheets of ice and the road was clear of rain ice and debree. then today at the bank it just quit driving. it will go into gear and stay running, however it will not drive RPM going up but will not drive. need to know if it could be a simple sensor or something far worse like the transmission or a transmission sensor. trying to get a awnser before i take it to the dealer and they get over on me.

Well to me it sounds like the transmission. My 93 thunderbird goes in to gear then it will go out of gear at time so i rev it up and it kicks back in. but the only time it does it is when it is not warmed up. Good luck..

Have the trans serviced to make sure the filter is not clogged. Also look for particals in the bottom of the trans pan.

Is it way below freezing temp. if it is your problem will vanish once it warms up.

Marilyn Bovia

I have the exact same car and have the exact same problem. Even after I let it warm up, it still would not move. I just had almost $500 of repairs done. So frustrating! I'm hoping it is something simple. dhensley78: what did your problem end up being?