Is the A/C compressor going to come off??

Mechphisto
0

Asked by Mechphisto Sep 17, 2011 at 07:54 PM about the 2005 Mercury Sable

I've a 2005 Mercury Sable.
We discovered when the heater and fan is running, there was a rattle and smoke!
We discovered that one of the three caps(?) on the A/C compressor had come
loose, and that's where the smoking was coming from. It finally came off, and the
inside is melted.
Then, after that one came off, a 2nd one popped right off!

What's happening? Why in the world would 2 of these caps come off on their own
like that? And what caused them to melt inside? Is there some moving part they're
covering?

Background:
This started last night after we took a sharp curve to the left too fast. All of a
sudden that's when the noise and smell started. Did that cause it to shift? Is it
migrating off it's bolts? Is it about to come loose and crash around?

Additional note:
I have no idea if this is related, if it's bad or nothing... I may be paranoid, but it
seems to me that the spinning pulley part on the compressor is wobbling just a
teeny bit against the pink bushing or gasket (?) that's between the pulley and the
three capped bolts. However, those three bolt ends and the plate at the end don't
appear to move at all.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions or advice!

Johnny Boyd
35

I have an '05 Sable, and the same thing happened to my compressor a few months ago. The pulley on the end of the compressor (the engine belt wraps around it) came loose and destroyed those 3 'caps' on the end. Everything was still attached and spinning while the engine was running, but the noise was horrible. Bottom line, you'll have to replace the clutch, pulley and end cap on the compressor. Otherwise, the noise and burning smell will continue, and the AC probably won't work. My Dad, who is a fair amateur mechanic, tried to do it himself, but had to give up. The way the compressor is set in the engine compartment, there's no room to work on it. He got it apart, but couldn't get it back together. We ended up taking it to a shop. Good luck!