Is it safe for car to drive in Overdrive during normal everyday city driving?

rdonath
0

Asked by rdonath Jul 28, 2007 at 09:56 PM about the 1993 Ford Taurus

1993 Taurus automatic.  While driving around town in normal "city" traffic, is it overly hard on the transmission if one drives full time in "Overdrive" as compared to regular "Drive?"  Or, will driving in "Overdrive" put undue strain on the transmission and ralated parts?

mr_dan_mule
435

The overdrive will not be under any extra strain in normal city traffic.

snake42787
265

Overdrive is made for highway speeds, but no harm will come to driving it in city traffic, it just makes for a quicker acceleration with overdrive off.