Shifter lock and release button stuck---key stuck in ignition in accesory position what do I do?

capecodchristina
0

Asked by capecodchristina Dec 08, 2010 at 10:41 AM about the 2000 Mazda Millenia

2000 Mazda Millenia --- Key stuck in accessory position, shifter lock and release button stuck, it is in park but moves through gears without depressing lock/release button, tried to push shift lock and overide  button, didn't hear it click
still in same position please help?

Doran Harney
1,215

It sounds like the shift lever has come disconnected from the cable that goes from it to the transmission itself, which I've seen happen before on MPV's. In my experience, one or more of the bolts that generally hold a bracket connected to the end of the shift lever assembly has either come loose or fallen out completely, allowing the ball-and-socket style joint between the shift lever and shift cable to separate. The first thing I would do is start tearing that dashboard apart - most of it's going to have to come apart before you'll be able to clearly see what i'm talking about, especially since the bolts i'm referring to should be buried behind & underneath the instrument cluster, with the bolt heads facing the firewall. They're ususally easist to reach from below, and have a torx head on them to the best of my recollection. If it turns out they need tightening, a bit of threadlock should help the problem from reoccurring.