blinking o/d off light

kendrickpswife
0

Asked by kendrickpswife Sep 26, 2007 at 06:55 PM about the 2001 Mazda 626

It just started yesterday,2001 Mazda 626 with 156,000 miles...no other problems, I have parked it and not driven it.  What is the problem?  Is there a sensor on the transmission?

joecorvair
1,365

It just means you probably don't have overdrive, but it should not prevent you from driving it. It could just be a bad electrical connection.

18TandSVT
3,515

Did you turn the overdrive off? Sometimes they have a switch on the shifter that you can easily miss and press it accidentally.

dopey99
60

This is a bad answer. There would be no overdrive light if the car was not equipped with overdrive. And if you meant that the flashing light simply means the OD is not engaged (turned on) then, that is a problem as well., The transmission wil be reving to high, unnecessarilly and will cause excessive transmission temperatures, causing other problems.

dkramer
10

i have 2001 Mazda 626 with 208000 miles (had since it had 4 miles) and my od light started flashing now its at aamco they said it was getting to hot that they will have to take it apart to find out what all problems the heat has caused so your looking at alot of money also

Reids2008
40

My o/d off light started flashing 25,000 miles ago. My mechanic replaced one of the oxygen sensors and it stopped. Charged me $80 bucks....... Now my car has 318,000 miles!

Richard Boettger
555

The flashing OD light is like the CEL (Check Engine Light) in the instrument panel and means there is an electronic code that needs to be read to help figure out what/where the problem lies... but there a problem somewhere in the system.