air ride problem

grafas
0

Asked by grafas Jan 22, 2009 at 08:16 AM about the 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

Hi, i have problem with my air ride system evry time when i drive home the car go's down then system turns on and car go's up, and that hapening evry time its never stand in one position, becouse of this i change couple battery's. When i was in the chop they lift my car up and did not switch of in the trunk maybe that's the problem? what shut i do, i think its not big problem. Thank you!!!

Brad Jungas
65

check your air bags for hole. if they are good, than check the lines

Chris Lee
485

my old man has a '94 continental... he converted the airride system to springs becuase he had so many problems with it

tisopd
90

how difficult was the conversion

You think this is helpful.
Tim Sears
65

I have the same exact problem. The story is when they lift your car up, as soon as the tires leave the ground, if the air-ride switch hasn't already been turned off you have a 90% risk of killing your system. I have nothing but trouble with my air-ride, that is why i would recomend the conversion kit from americanairsuspension.com. Im currently saving for the 1.5'' lowered kit. ($469). not a bad price when you consider a whole new system being about 1K. heres the link.... http://www.americanairsuspension.com/cart/products.php?cat=3

Billy Kahl
115

i did the front conversion on my 95 mark and it was pretty easy. took only a hour or two in my driveway, with the car on the jack that comes with the car.

You think this is helpful.
Daniel Swenson
95

I did a full coil spring conversion on my 98 LSC. The kit is very nice. I ordered the 1.5" lowering kit from americanairsuspension.com. its only took me a couple hours to do both front and rear, air tools definitely helped a lot! The stance of the Mark now and the handling is almost like a new car. Any more questions let me know.

DonDaniels
30

There could be so many things that can go wrong with an air suspension. I gave up on trying to fix the thing on my aunts Mark 8. I bought her a conversion kit from Strutmasters.com and saved her money and me a lot of time. This air system can be trying and frustrating but I would not give up this kit for anything.

derekpeters2010
20

I helped a friend with his Mark 8 and converted it to non air. He got a nice kit from Strutmasters.com. It came with great instructions and didn't take long to install at all. I shortly after that purchased one for my own ride.

Shawna
10

Hi. I dont know much about cars and air ride and all that. I do know that my car failed badly. When it did I was left sitting beside the road. We were told that it was a lot of money to fix it so I did some searching on the web and found a non air conversion kit by Strutmasters.com. I saved a lot of money by doing away with the air on the car. If you have time check them out. Its worth it.

Erik Mosson
130

I bought a mark viii where the front has the conversion kit, but every time i start the car it says that air ride system off. is there any way to disable that on the computer?

Jeff Leeper

there is, you have to remove the glovebox and clip the green wire. if you google it you should find the instructions.

petersmith65
10

I have a 1995 Lincoln Mark 8. and it sounds like yours is your air suspension has failed. Mine did the same thing. I went to my dealer and they said it was going to cost 4500-6000 to fix the air suspension. That was way to much money. My wife just had a baby and i couldnt pay that much out of my pocket. I went to Strutmasters.com and got conversion kit and it toke away the air and now i have a lifetime warranty and i dont have to worry about it again.

black3nasty
130

Hello, when im driving my car it drive ok. but when stop for a little bit my check air ride system ligth cum on. Then i turn the car off for like 5 sec then turn it back on and the air pump come on and the car goes back up.

StewartS
80

Hey I also had problems with my Lincoln car and I went with strutmasters as well. I am so glad that I dont have to deal with air junk anymore. My baby rides beautifully again...thanks to them.

dawneichten
220

I have ...I think a comprssor issue... this has been quoted for more than a $600 fix. In several friends researching I'm told that the '98 Mark IIIV has a bipass system that will allow a person to pump up the air ride with something that resembles a tire valve stem under body. After that, supposedly, if the air ride system is shut down things should work fine even though a little rougher ride. Looking for confirmation...is this true? Are there other remedies to this situation? Pls advise...

dawneichten
220

I've had the same issue, except now my pump is not working at all so restarts are not the fix.I'm told that the compressor has failed. People tell me that there is a bypass, true or no? Have you found a remedy to this problem that is not going to cost the $600 plus labor or more that the local shops are quoting me?

mrgixxer
130

I changed my air ride over to thunderbird struts they are exctaly the same n perfect fit I got mine for 100 bucks all 4 wheel strut n springs off of thunderbird at junk yard I find it funny that everyone spends $$$ for custom when its for thunderbird they say its custom for changing over air ride when everyone could had just go for thunderbird struts just letting everyone know that lincoln and thunderbird are the same but not the dohc engine that's the only diff ok and also all the control arm n ball joint n all that off of thunderbird are the same fit n all that for lincoln too thunderbird parts are 50% cheaper than lincoln part.s

Paul Thoreson
205

MY 96 MARK III PUMPS UP TOO MUCH IN THE FRONT ONLY AND RIDES HARD AND BOUNCY. ANY IDEAS OF WHAT'S WRONG? THANKS

mjm2730
30

i have a 95 m.8. just instaled front struts now it wont pumpup the back is there a wire change i have to do in the front??????

Justin Johns
10

Anyone with pics of the 1.5 lower kit?

Paul Thoreson
205

I JUST PUT A STRUTMASTER 1.5 LOWERING KIT AND AM HAPPY WITH IT. IT HANDLES NICE AND DOESN'T RIDE BAD AT ALL I WAS WORRIED IT MIGHT RIDE TERRIBLE. HERE'S A PIC OF IT LOWERED.

mike_2625
20

t-bird, ford Taurus, i was wondering what year date of cars coil spring & strut will fit my 1997 Lincoln Continental ? looking to convert over without using strut master coast to much junkyards are a good place to going without picking through damage parts