Do you have to set the electronics on a 2000 Lincoln town car when a new battery is installed or does it reset automatically?

glenda4bonds
0

Asked by glenda4bonds Aug 01, 2012 at 05:44 PM about the 2000 Lincoln Town Car

68,645

Reset the clock and radio. Reprogram the engine's idle and fuel trim strategy. This is necessary for optimum engine performance. To do so, stop the car, set the emergency brake, put the car in park, turn off accessories, turn on the engine and let it idle until it reaches operating temperature. Turn on the air conditioner and let the engine idle another minute. Put your foot on the brake pedal, release the emergency brake, put the car in drive and drive it for 10 miles. This completes the programming.

DavidH25

This is not glenda4bonds, Tom, but thanks for an excellent piece of information. I did not know that, I left my lights on one day (actually 3 days I was not home) and the battery not only drained, but ruined it. Even after a new battery I -set the clock like you said, but that's all and it never ran as well since. I was stumped. It never in a million years occurred to me that what you explained was the cause. Good Day Sir and thanks again..I passed this on to the guy I sold my 2002 TC to.